PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Returns

TheLion
24-05-2004, 06:34 PM
Today at 18:00 CET ( 24th of May 2004 ) the DGDev Team finally released their much anticipated 2nd game, Barbarian Returns!

The game is a remake of the C64 game Barbarian and uses the DGDev Teams own Basilisk Engine. :)

You can download Barbarian Returns at the following URL:
http://www.dgdevteam.tk

(if that one doesn't work use the direct link):
http://dgdev.qano.net

HAVE FUN! and we welcome feedback, bug reports and suggestions! :)

http://dgdev.qano.net/barbarian/media/screen1.jpg

WiZz
24-05-2004, 06:51 PM
cool, i am downloading it. Screens looks nice :)

WiZz
24-05-2004, 07:18 PM
Wow, very good. you engine is very cool, nice remake. only computer could be smarter :).

cairnswm
24-05-2004, 07:30 PM
Well done guys. I'll download it when I am at work tomorrow.

Paulius
25-05-2004, 06:44 AM
As I see it, it suffers from trying to be too close to the original gameplay wise and turns out far less fun than Horrorween. It seems too slow, I don't know about C64, but the gameplay on my ZX Spectrum was something like twice as fast. Love the blood splattering.

Useless Hacker
25-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Very nice. :)

Mrwb
25-05-2004, 02:35 PM
Very nice, but as allready mentioned, the gameplay is a bit slow.. Apart from that, really excellent :)

Useless Hacker
25-05-2004, 04:41 PM
By the way, Mrwb, shouldn't your sig read "Bear with me - I'm still learning" rather that "Bare". I for one have no intention of baring anything...

Mrwb
25-05-2004, 05:22 PM
@Useless Hacker: I guess so.. :oops: I can't belive I didn't nocied, I've had that sig for like two-three months now.. oh well. *slaps himself with his bare hands*

WILL
26-05-2004, 06:23 AM
Wow, really nice guys. I'll check it out after I finish the new sites scripts. Not long now.

In the meantime you think you can post a set of minimum hardware requirements? Or are they on the site?

Very good work. You guys do the old DGDev name proud. ;)

wisebede
26-05-2004, 07:35 AM
Really good job guys. The troll that drags the bodies away is as great as before. My only other comment besides the speed is to make all the CPU fighters as intelligent as level 7 or 8. You can whip through the first lot simply by head chopping them straight away.

Then again, thats not necessarily a bad thing :lol:

TheLion
27-05-2004, 02:01 PM
We (the DGDev Team) are really glad to hear you guys like the game, we've had some really good responses on other websites too! :)

We are currently brainstorming on how to make the enemies smarter and we are working on a faster gameplay option/feature, both these options will be included in the first patch which will come out, when it comes out! :) (nothing conclusive on dates yet so...) :)

And especially for WILL, here are the minimum system requirements:
CPU: PII 400 MHz or higher
RAM: 64 MB or higher
Audio: Soundblaster compatible soundcard
O/S: Win9x, Win2000 / XP

Eriken
27-05-2004, 09:08 PM
There is a new version of Barbarian available for download.

Here are the new features:

o Harder 1P mode
o Added a game speed option (prepare for TURBO battles)

You can download it from the Barbarian site.

WILL
28-05-2004, 10:18 AM
Nice. What about video cards? Does it matter? Will it run smooth on an older 8 Meg AGP x2?

Idea for the AI. What about using Neural Nets? The enemies could learn from each fight. You could run them through enough fights and save them at points where it starts to get better. AI vs AI. It'll be like you're actually trainning them for combat. :D

TheLion
28-05-2004, 10:10 PM
Theoretically it should work on all OpenGL enabled cards! :) I did test it on my old Viper v550 (32 MB I think) card and it ran pretty smooth! :)

Paulius
02-06-2004, 09:34 PM
Some small suggestions: characters should not to be invincible while rolling and crouching and standing up should be faster.

NaXeM
16-06-2004, 01:09 PM
Im going to ask a dumb question..... but neway

Have i got any hope at running it?

4mb ATI RAGE IIC Latest Drivers ( obviously not very new LOL ).
Intel Celeron II 333mhz
WinME With DirectX9.0b though my card and its drivers only go as far as Direct7's D3D
umm my soundcard hmmm not too sure.

Anyway its old but ive played PS1 games on it.

TheLion
16-06-2004, 05:41 PM
I think Momor runs it on an ATI Rage, just no clue how much RAM he got on it! :) Except for the video card it should run fine! :) I would say, download the game and try it! ;) hehe

Momor
17-06-2004, 06:24 AM
hehe I have an ATI RAGE Mobility, 8 Mb, old & crappy. It's D3D enabled but not OpenGL accelerated :(

Anyway I play Barbarian without any problem in software mode (prefer 320x240 with a Celeron)

NaXeM
17-06-2004, 06:40 AM
Kool ill have a try :P i got some extra space now too not much just 2gb i got out of old comp and put in this one :)

noeska
28-10-2004, 12:55 PM
i am missing the snakes.

{MSX}
02-11-2004, 09:56 AM
Hi! i'll try the game this evening, but i was asking myself why not a linux version ?
If i got that right you're using OpenGL for video, so no big problems.
I'm getting quite skilled with Pascal and Linux now, so if you want help for a possible linux adaptation, i'm here :) btw showing a working cross platform game will be good ad for pascal game development

What about other libraries ? Sound, Input etc ?

BTW the team is really going on well i think.. two completed game released is not for everyone! :)

Bye

Momor
02-11-2004, 09:51 PM
Thks for the feedback MSX !

We didn't make any Linux version mainly because of these 2 reasons :
- lack of Kylix license in the team
- lack of time

Moreover, even if the game compiles under FreePascal, this is not the case of the core engine (Basilisk). And, unfortunately, the Windows version of FreePascal does not seem to produce very stable EXE !

The game is mainly SDL based.

Thks for the team comment. BTW we did also a 3rd game, called "Burgerland", available here : http://www.momorprods.com/burgerland

czar
02-11-2004, 10:16 PM
Love the attempt. However, there are some weird things going on.

I got stuck in the left corner and the enemy continued to bowl me over by rolling in my direction, there did not seem to be anything I could do to stop him.

The keypresses seem to be backing up (being remembered). I let go of the keyboard and it was still acting out movements for a number of seconds.

I get the feeling I am not 100% in control of my man.

The original Barabarian was more responsive to movement and directions.

I hope you guys continue and improve what is starting to look really good.

BTW: I had to set the speed at 200%, the original speed was too sluggish.

No chance of opening up the code for others I suppose :)

WILL
03-11-2004, 01:49 AM
Hey, nice. You guys should really update the DGDev Team site. Include all the games you have released with nice screenshots and all. :) I'll make a news post for yas too!

As for the Basalisk Engine, sit going to remain an in-house project? ie. Only used for games released by the DGDev Team?

{MSX}
03-11-2004, 08:00 AM
No chance of opening up the code for others I suppose :)

That's a nice question :P I think it's a good idea.. If you don't make money from your games and are givin them for free, why not disclose the sources?
Your engine looks cool. Opening it only means more people can write nice pascal games.

{MSX}
03-11-2004, 08:02 AM
Thks for the team comment. BTW we did also a 3rd game, called "Burgerland", available here : http://www.momorprods.com/burgerland

Great! :P
I've been playing it for long time on my MSX :P
Nice work!

TheLion
03-11-2004, 08:51 PM
@WILL: Yeah DGDev Team site hasn't been updated much anymore lately, BUT we did make seperate sites for each game project and they can be found here:

http://dgdev.qano.net/

About the games/engine getting opensourced, we don't have any plans for that at the moment and I don't see it appearing on the agenda in the near future. :)

Concerning the engine, well I can tell you this much... we are going to release a version of the engine when we feel it's ready! ;)

Almindor
04-12-2004, 07:39 PM
I think that's particularly the problem with you guys. I mean you made a very nice work here(judging from the screenshots as I'm a linuxer) but staying closedsourced for small projects like this isn't right. From any point of view. If you opensourced it, me or someone else could already port it to linux and other platforms with Free Pascal...

Think about it, and if not, give me a good reason

Traveler
04-12-2004, 10:36 PM
but staying closedsourced for small projects like this isn't right. From any point of view.

A bold statement. Not sure if its a fair one either. The DGDev team has made three games over the past year (give or take a few months). Thats way more than I've seen seen from any other team or indie developer in a long while. They're still working on new games and, I assume, continue to work on existing ones.

I agree that if they were to abandon Barbarian and it would nolonger be improved upon, it would be a nice idea to release it as opensource. But it is in no way a requirement. It is still their game. You or any other person has to respect that.

Robert Kosek
04-12-2004, 10:42 PM
While I agree, Traveller, I do have to mourn the knowledge that is locked away from junior programmers because they are closed source. :cry:

Eriken
04-12-2004, 11:08 PM
Interesting to see that there is a problem with us ;)

Well, at this point, releasing the game for opensource isn't really meaningful since the engine we use isn't compatible with linux.. and then you'd just be stuck with source code that doesn't do anything and wont give you any answers.

It all boils down to the engine not being ready for the public eye, and not ready for *nix either..

It's not what we're working on directly at this point, but when Basilisk is released, there will be source code included from a game.. I can't promise you it's Barbarian though because it is not only me who decides this :)

If it's right or not is more or less up to us to decide, from the current situation we are in.

If that's what you call a good reason, I don't know.. but it's the answer I can give you at the current time :)

** Edit **
You know you're writing too much or too slow when there have appeared 2 posts between the time you pushed on Reply and Submit ;)

Traveler: Yup, we're still creating games, and the engine we're using is more or less the backbone of what we do so it keeps getting developed :)

Robert Kosek: Well, we're around here to answer questions if we can, and that aint bad ;) I'm considering myself a newbie game programmer so there might be questions out there I have no idea about :) And the others have been busy lately but we're always checking the forum so don't worry, and there are lots of other capable people here :)

** End of edit (Now.. let us hope I can finish this before a new post) **
_____
Eriken