PDA

View Full Version : PNG to TGA?

Madarco
27-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Hi, i'm new of PowerDraw programming (very good lib, i've found it simple and powerful, good job!)
I'd like to know if there's a conversion utility fro PNG24 end TGA. Photoshop CS don't seems to save the trasparency mask in TGA, so i've to import it from an 8bit bitmap image.
It was better if i could save a png24 from photoshop and convert to a TGA with transparency.

(i've tried the VTDtools in PowerDraw3 Pre-Release 3 and the vtdmanager 1.4)

Thanks

Marco Madarco
delphi@madarco.it

jansoft
31-05-2004, 04:23 PM
Photoshop can save transparency as alpha - you can do it by several ways, for example
Image-Calculations
Source1:Merged,Transparency,
Source2:whatever
Blending:Normal
Result:New channel

before saving you must flatten image (Layers-Flatten Image)
when saving, select TGA format, uncheck "as copy" and be sure, that is checked "alpha channel".

tip: use actions to automate this steps

Madarco
31-05-2004, 05:26 PM
sure!
I've tried only to save a single layer image as TGA and photoshop merged it to a white background...
Now i've do: select layer transparency -> save selection as channel and it works.

lief
25-05-2005, 11:24 PM
problem with this method: when flattening, even when keeping the alpha channel, means the transparent parts are also have a preapplied transparency on them. eg. Merge to a black background, all slightly transparent pixels will be darker than supposed to be.

The only way around this I can see is to create the original image in the required colors with no transparency, and then apply transparency as a final step after it is flattened. I think this will be confusing.

snorga
07-06-2005, 10:52 AM
Paint shop pro 5, can allso do it.

LP
07-06-2005, 08:37 PM
Why not do it in Paint Shop Pro 9?

snorga
08-06-2005, 02:36 PM
I just know that paint shop pro 5 can do it. (I don't have v.9, only 5)