PDA

View Full Version : MP3 Licensing

Gadget
04-06-2004, 11:21 AM
Do you need a license to release MP3 files with a game? I can't believe that Thompson have control over people using a file format???

Useless Hacker
04-06-2004, 11:48 AM
AFAIK, you don't need a license to use MP3 files, it is just the software for decoding them which requires a license, but if you are using DirectSound I understand that Microsoft have already payed on your behalf.

Harry Hunt
04-06-2004, 12:53 PM
You will only need a license if your program is sold more than 1000 times and only if your program contains MP3 decoding technology. The format itself is not protected.
If you want to be 100% sure that you're not violating any license terms, consider using OGG/Vorbis instead.

WILL
06-06-2004, 01:42 AM
AFAIK, you don't need a license to use MP3 files, it is just the software for decoding them which requires a license, but if you are using DirectSound I understand that Microsoft have already payed on your behalf.
Hmm... I know this is outside of the DirectX context, but what about OpenAL? Does the same apply?

Harry Hunt
06-06-2004, 07:40 AM

Actually no, that's virtually never the case. Windows contains all sorts of technologies licensensed from other companies and you will still need your own license to be legally allowed to use it in your own programs.

Gadget
06-06-2004, 04:39 PM
I am using DirectShow, so that should be OK shouldn't it?

Why should I have to pay royalties for something that other people use to decode it? Or are we assuming that I have to pay on their behalf, if so how can anyone release more than 1000 MP3 commerically without paying decoder royalties?

Harry Hunt
06-06-2004, 06:45 PM
DirectShow does not contain a public license for its MP3 decoder which means that if you want to use it, you have to license it yourself.

Check out this page
http://www.mp3licensing.com/help/developer.html#2

it explains everything. The rules have changed since I last checked. Now if you write a game and sell less than 5000 copies you won't need to pay royalties.

WILL
06-06-2004, 09:48 PM
The under 5000 rule seems quite reasonable. Considering that there are alot of small scale game developers that could use the break. Considering that sales won't be super-great due to lack of big time marketing and hype, plus the consideration of packaging and support costs.

I mean... come on... if you do sell over 5000 copies... are you really worried about a measly 2,500 bucks? :)