PDA

View Full Version : Remakes.org Game Making Competition

cairnswm
07-06-2004, 06:19 AM
Just to let you all know that the www.remakes.org annual competition will start on the 1st of July.

Last year a Delphi developed game won the contest.

The contest runs for 3 months - lots of time for everyone to get their stuff done. Last year it was suggested that this years competition would be a team competition but the official rules will only be available on the 1st July.

I was thinking of doing a remake of the 1972 Startrek game....

Traveler
07-06-2004, 07:32 AM
Wow, thats pretty cool news!

"It will run from 0000hrs (GMT) on the 1st July until 2359hrs (GMT) on the 30th September."

Thats a whole three months !!

WILL
07-06-2004, 09:11 AM
Oh wow. I'd be all over that if I weren't going to be gone till the 21st of July. Hmm... I am actually working on a game engine for that type of game if it's the same kind I'm thinking of. Prehaps I can lend a hand if you require it carinswm.

Do you think you can send me a URL or some kind of screen shot of the game you're refering to to jog my memory of it?

I've played a Mac version of a Trek-like game where it was networked and you fly around in 360 degrees birds-eye-view and shoot each other in these little space arenas. 3 races(Feds, Klingons and Romulans), each has their type of ship systems and weapons. Am I getting close?

Harry Hunt
07-06-2004, 11:06 AM
Yep, thinks like that make me hate the fact that I have to prepare for exams :x

cairnswm
07-06-2004, 11:49 AM
Sorry WILL but you are about 10 years to late :)

1000 ! TREK.BAS 27-JUL-73 ARON K. INSINGA PROJECT DELTA
1060 DIM R(9%),D$(6%),D%(6%),G%(8%,8%),Q%(8%,8%),K%(9%,3% )
1070 MAT READ D$,R:MAT D%=ZER:RANDOMIZE
1080 DATA "WARP ENGINES", "S.R. SENSORS", "L.R. SENSORS"
1090 DATA "PHASER CNTRL", "PHOTON TUBES", "DAMAGE CNTRL"
1100 DATA .0001, .01, .03, .08, .28, 1.28, 3.28, 6.28, 13.28
1110 T%,T0%=INT(RND*20+20)*100%:T9%=40%:E%,E0%=3000%:P% ,P0%=10%:S9%=200%
1130 DEF FND=SQR((K%(I%,1%)-S1%)^2%+(K%(I%,2%)-S2%)^2%)
1140 DEF FNR%=INT(RND*8+1)
1145 DEF FNW%(I%,J%)
1146 IF I%<1% OR I%>8% OR J%<1% OR J%>8% THEN FNW%=0% ELSE FNW%=-1%

Look familiar?????

I've actually got the source code for about 4 different versions of the game :)

My idea is to make 3 modes
Mode 1 - Original Text mode - no mouse or anything you have to type everything
Mode 2 - Text based but with mouse enabled for selection and menu options
Mode 3 - A modern version - Some faces done in Poser with voice over telling the player what happens and full grpahics interface....

Sounds like fun!

Traveler
07-06-2004, 04:01 PM
Look familiar?????

Hmm it looks like Basic, but I'm not really sure. Its been way too long :(

Mode 1 - Original Text mode - no mouse or anything you have to type everything
Mode 2 - Text based but with mouse enabled for selection and menu options
Mode 3 - A modern version - Some faces done in Poser with voice over telling the player what happens and full grpahics interface....

Sounds like fun!

Indeed, but do you really think you can do all that in just three months.

Personally, if i'm participating, I'm going to aim a little lower this time. :D

cairnswm
08-06-2004, 05:31 AM
I think I can achieve all that in the time I have available. Last years remakes compeition I entered something that took only 20 hours of work (I finished 47 of 86). At the moment I believe I can do anything I want to.... I am now confident enough in my abilities to do the games I have always wanted to :) Of course I'm lucky as all the games I want to do are 2D games.... :D

Im going to structure the game that the game engine is seperate from the UI. The game engine will keep track of ship positions, stars, bases and Kligons. The UI Backend will keep track of Messages and status information. The Game engine and the UI Backend will not have anything to do with one another. The UI itself will the communicate with both layers to get the relevant informatin. Then by inheriting from the UI I can make custom displays to feed the information through to the user.

The UI will also respond to user actions and pass it back to the Game Engine.

WILL
09-06-2004, 12:45 AM
Hmm... neat.

Are you planning to use an OOP model for your game engine? Should make it easy to add stuff to your game later on. And a network play option wouldn't suck either. ;)

I wish you luck with it. Hopefully another Pascal-based project will win this year. :)

Eriken
01-07-2004, 01:25 PM
And as a reminder, the rules are now out on the remakes-site so if you consider entering pop over there to check it out :)
_____
Eriken

cairnswm
03-07-2004, 08:17 AM
I'm entering :)

I just got back from a week away on holiday. Star Trek should be taking shape over the next two weeks as I am at home just to code games for two weeks. Of course my remakes game isn;t high priority as I've got some ideas of making games that will sell - but remakes is fun anyway :)