PDA

View Full Version : Will XNA mean the end of DirectX?

adkiller
07-06-2004, 10:35 AM
For more info on XNA:
http://www.microsoft.com/xna/default.aspx

The XNA development platform will serve as the foundation for future game platforms from Microsoft, including Windows, Xbox and Windows Mobile-based devices.

I feel XNA will serverely limit developing games using DirectX to MS tools, namely Visual Studio .Net.

I am planning of migrating Managed DirectX to Delphi (Win32). I am wondering if it will be a wasted effort if XNA makes it difficult for us Delphi devs. Also would XNA lock out future game dev on Delphi?

Any comments on this?

-Ad

Harry Hunt
07-06-2004, 11:05 AM
I think it's a good idea to use a common (and hopefully 100% compatible) games API that works with both PC and XBox. However, I don't see a point in using MS .NET especially at this early stage. So I'd prefer it if they'd release a new version of DirectX that works with all compilers that support API-calls.

noeska
07-06-2004, 03:10 PM
does the xbox support opengl?

Paulius
07-06-2004, 05:35 PM
does the xbox support opengl?

No, MS Console - MS API (DirectX).

Clootie
08-06-2004, 05:42 PM
XNA is a layer above DirectX, it's a higher level API (higher than D3DX). So DirectX will stay. I'm not even sure will XNA be available as a .NET assembly. But if it will - then no problem using it with Delphi.NET.

As for managed DirectX itselft - it's too early to base DirectX projects on it. Currenty native DirectX has more API features... Even MS currently recommends using .NET in games only as a script engine.