PDA

View Full Version : delphi on osx

tux
14-06-2004, 06:24 PM
is borland thinking about making delphi availible on mac osx?

any rumors about this?

noeska
14-06-2004, 06:27 PM
no not that i am aware of (would be nice though)

but you can use object pascal on osx with: http://www.microbizz.nl/gpc.html

Clootie
15-06-2004, 09:17 PM
No, Borland have no plans for MaxOSX.
You can try FreePascal (www.freepascal.org). It's compatible with Delphi and should compile to MacOS'es

WILL
18-06-2004, 05:34 AM
The guys at Free Pascal are working on compatablility with Mac OS X as we speak. However it would be very nice if Borland opened its eyes and jumpped on the Mac OS X platform.

I'd want a gammin edition of Delphi/Kylix first though. :)

Lightning
19-11-2004, 03:11 PM
Borland won't make any Delphi/Kylix for MAC OS X !!!
The investment is too big.
It seems IBM or Microsoft will buy Borland :shock:
Lazarus+FPC already runs on OS X and efforts are being made for it to support the Carbon interface, there is no other RAD IDE more CrossPlatform than Lazarus.

tux
19-11-2004, 05:37 PM
It seems IBM or Microsoft will buy Borland

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: proof or source? :P

WILL
20-11-2004, 12:40 AM
It seems IBM or Microsoft will buy Borland

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: proof or source? :P

Indeed. Hap-hazardly placed statments like these don't help. Espcially when there are enough shit-flingers out there posting foul rumours about Delphi, Pascal, Object Pascal, etc as it is.

This has never been stated(in fact quite the opposite) and I would doubt any suggestion to this effect. Borland has always been it's own company and makes it's deals and has supported differing platforms in the past to maintain it's mainstream stay in the software development world. I don't plan on seeing them fade or being aquired any time soon. Besides I'm sure Microsoft has spent enough money into developing VB not to want to squash that in a move like that.

Lightning
25-11-2004, 09:44 AM
These are only roumors (that's the :shock: smiley) search the web and you'll see what people think of Borland (stopping Kylix developement, Delphi2005 looks like Visual Studio apps, heck it even integrates with VS, .NET, no more crossplatform, all indicate Borland wants to look like MS).
So... Borland might be migrating to MS, compatibility..., for what pourpose ???
Many people are still using D7 because it doesn't have .NET integration (only a preview) and it folows the classic Borland style.

What i think is NOT important, i always analyse what others think !!!

plugwash
06-01-2005, 01:41 AM
borland is dieing just like many other general perpose dev tool makes have done or are doing.

ms killed the commercial dev tool market for windows

linux users generally wan't stuff free.

borland is too big to move into a niche market (such as one involving embedded systems or so) like many other devtool makers did.

btw where did you hear about lazarus and carbon? i haven't heard anything to that effect and apparently there are some abi issue with freepascal in areas heavilly used by the carbon api. (cocoa is pretty much out of the window because of its close ties to objective C its nearly impossible to use it for anything else). I belive lazarus runs on OSX with gtk and X11 but this is far from ideal.

Sly
06-01-2005, 03:05 AM
These are only roumors (that's the :shock: smiley) search the web and you'll see what people think of Borland (stopping Kylix developement, Delphi2005 looks like Visual Studio apps, heck it even integrates with VS, .NET, no more crossplatform, all indicate Borland wants to look like MS).
Search the web and you will also find that Microsoft owns a large stake in Borland ($25M settlement back in 1999 to settle patent infringement lawsuits plus a $100M deal that ensures Borland supports Microsoft technologies)
http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB19990608S0005

Lightning
11-01-2005, 08:20 AM
Borland's faith is death in that case as they will be MS's tasty dinner and we all know how MS hates Pascal.
It all started probably with D7 and the .NET preview compiler, i wondered how did they implement theme support in that strange way, now i have the answer.
So no more Kylix updates :( only Delphi .NET/w32 on windows.
Let's not forget Lazarus and FreePascal !

Sly
11-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Borland implemented XP theme support by taking Mike Lischke's TThemeManager component and adding it to the VCL. They modified it so that it had fewer features (yes, fewer), but it is basically the same component.

marcov
03-02-2005, 10:51 AM
Search the web and you will also find that Microsoft owns a large stake in Borland ($25M settlement back in 1999 to settle patent infringement lawsuits plus a $100M deal that ensures Borland supports Microsoft technologies)
http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB19990608S0005

I'm pretty sure that stake was sold early in 2000, due to the monopoly lawsuites. Rumour goes that that money kept Borland from going bankrupt btw.

For the rest I agree with plugwash.