PDA

View Full Version : game development

XraY
26-06-2004, 04:22 PM
I have quite a bit of experience with Delphi, but no experience with game programing. I would realy like to learn, but i don't know where to start.
I recently found this site www.delphigamer.com, and read about Delphix, or Jedi DirectX 9 headers for Delphi, or Jedi-SDL 2d and 3D engines. Ok, now a I have to choose. DelphiX seems to be the easiets to learn but it doesn't work with Delphi 7. Can somebody run me trough al my options for Game Development in Delphi 7, so i can decide which one is better, and more complete. Apart form DelphiX, is there another engine who uses components?
Right now i am downloading PowerDraw 3.0

Could you also include the site's where i can find them
Thank You!

Mrwb
26-06-2004, 05:31 PM
Personally, I like the GLXtreem components. They are fairly easy to work with, and have a great deal of features. (Sound, Q3 models + maps, 3DS and the list goes on) You can find it here: www.glxtreem.tk

Other possibilites would be Omega, XCESS Game Development Kit, GameVision SDK and GLScene (also uses components and have a huge amount of documentation available I belive). Check out the "Game Libraries and Components" (http://terraqueous.f2o.org/dgdev/index.php?c=7) forums.

Oh, and welcome to the forums ;)

Harry Hunt
26-06-2004, 06:33 PM
You might also want to consider using plan DirectX without any components, especially if you're familiar with COM.

WiZz
26-06-2004, 06:52 PM
You might also want to consider using plan DirectX without any components, especially if you're familiar with COM.
Or plain OpenGL whitch is very easy to learn.

XraY
27-06-2004, 01:31 PM
Thank you. I will give GLXTreem a chance, for the time being.
PowerDraw 3.0 did not satisfy my needs.
If there is someone who thinks i am making a mistake by choosing GLXTreem, talk now or for ever hold it's peace :D .

Can GLscene compete with GLXTreem?
Wich one has the most documentation, tutorials ...?

Thanks for your help.

Useless Hacker
28-06-2004, 01:04 PM
...DelphiX seems to be the easiets to learn but it doesn't work with Delphi 7....Actually DelphiX, or in fact UnDelphiX, works fine with Delphi 7, you can download it here (http://turbo.gamedev.net/undelphix.asp). Nevertheless, it is probably better to look at some of the newer components/libraries available since DelphiX is better suited to older hardware and does not take advantage of the 3D acceleration available on modern cards for 2D rendering.

cairnswm
03-07-2004, 08:08 AM
I am working on a series of tutorials on using GLXtreem to make games. Basically aimed at beginner game developers and concentrating on 2D games these tutorials will be released when the new PGDev site is released. Contact me directly for sneak previews!

Current planned as a 15 part series I have got Tutorial 1, 2 and 3 done so far.