PDA

View Full Version : DirectDraw framerate issue.

Crisp_N_Dry
04-10-2004, 07:41 PM
I'll give you the short version and hope it's enough. I have written a DirectDraw dll using the JEDI header conversions. Anyway, I've got it up and running, initializing and drawing to screen etc. I'm even able to change resolution, but therein lies my problem. I have tested the program at 1024*768, 800*600 and 640*480. When I change the resolution I obviously get a performance boost the lower resolution I go. I even got nearly 600fps at 320*240 but that was just for fun. This is all just drawing a simple isometric grid to screen. Trouble is when I change the color depth it doesn't make any impact whatsoever. I can have it running at 32 bit and the framerate will be the same as 256 color palettised mode. Any idea why 'cause I was really hoping for a performance boost from 8 bit mode but it just ain't happening. My ideal resolution is 640*480*8 since this would suit the game I'm attempting perfectly but first I know I need to get my FPS as high as possible before I start working on the game properly. I can supply code if needs be. BTW, I have used example code to get DirectDraw up and running so if you do want to see it don't be surprised if it looks familiar.

Clootie
08-10-2004, 07:24 PM
I will not be surprised if on modern vid-cards you'll see a SLOWDOWN then using 256 color mode instead of 16bit or 32bit ones.
256 color mode is dead - most new cards even do not support palettes in 3D mode.