PDA

View Full Version : So who would make a game for the OUYA?

WILL
11-07-2012, 10:56 PM
I've thought about how I could port Garland's Quest over to the OUYA since it came out on Kickstarter. It is such a great idea that will either be a huge success or a disastrous flop. What do you think? Would you make a game for it? Those that have made a commercial game or two, would you port your games over to it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfgX032Jbvg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=pN63uUPeSno

Ñuño Martínez
13-07-2012, 10:57 AM
But, it is actually an open sourced console like the Uzebox (http://belogic.com/uzebox/index.asp), or only the software will be open?

Actually I don't care because the price and the specifications looks great. Specially the possibility to develop stuff without spending a lot of money.

pitfiend
14-07-2012, 03:34 AM
The dev team said that you are allowed to open the thing and do whatever your heart wants.

de_jean_7777
15-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Well, since it runs Android, I don't think it would be a problem to make my existing code run on it, so why not.

WILL
03-01-2013, 01:02 PM
The OUYA SDK or "ODK" is out and downloadable now: http://www.ouya.tv/devs/

Eric
03-01-2013, 06:59 PM
The dev team said that you are allowed to open the thing and do whatever your heart wants.
I'm afraid that means there won't be a "console" experience for end users (as in no fuss, no hacks, no worries, no instability), which might restrict its appeal to devs rather than the general public. Also if games are too easy to crack/hack, no major studio will be investing on it... I wonder how they're going to be able to offer both openness and a solid platform at the same time if every game can exploit the hardware/software in un-intended ways?

WILL
04-01-2013, 02:11 AM
Well I think by "open", they meant the hardware could easily be "hacked" as in come up with new hardware and learn more about the software yourselves. The storefront will most likely be a bit more solid and secure than that, but unlike Nintendo and other console companies they are opening things up in a more positive way than the big companies have.

I think with places like Kickstarter and the huge reaction to things like Minecraft that this kind of openness will bring more positive hacking and an better era of creativity than the poor reactions to the rise of companies like Microsoft and Apple who have brought this culture of "us versus them" mentality. I think the OUYA will do better in that regard. But just like on the computer, if someone is going to go through the trouble of cracking your game or going out there to find it for free, then they weren't going to buy it anyways.

All that aside, the OUYA people have said that they will be pushing proper security for developers to ensure that all their info and transactions are secure. You may end up only being able to shove pirated Android apps on there.

Of course they might have meant that they only want you to hack and tinker with the dev console version. lol Not 100% sure there.

I do know that big titles are heading to this console. Square-Enix is putting FF3 on there, The Last Of Us developers is making an exclusive title. Mojang expressed interest in putting Minecraft on there. and so on... Here is a list of all the confirmed games coming out for the OUYA: http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?18-List-of-Games-Coming-to-the-OUYA

You may note that Subject 33 by Red Ant Games is on there too. ;)

Daikrys
04-01-2013, 10:25 AM
...no major studio will be investing on it...

that would be great if the market isnt flooted with AAA style titels and normal devs could continue to make games games without having to hit a standart
this already happen in the other appstores and is quite disappointing

i also read about people crying that OUYA dont had good copy protection, well bad news for this guys, smartphones and consoles are not save either

WILL
04-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Well unless OUYA pulls something out of their hat, I believe that only Apple offers that kind of security. But I'm sure someone out there knows how to pirate iOS Apps.

But similar to what I've said before (and by no means a new concept that *I* came up with), if someone is going to jailbreak their iPhone to play your game, they weren't going to pay you for it anyways.

Besides all these worries, I think that making games for the OUYA will be fun. I'm looking forward to seeing my first game on there. :)

If anyone does release their game for it, please tell me so I can get it myself as I'll be getting my OUYA console and 2 controllers sometime in March.

Super Vegeta
04-01-2013, 03:34 PM
100$, given the exchange rates, isn't exactly the amount of money I can throw away at any given time, but I think I'll surely give it a look someday. With Java being so popular in the industry, the OUYA might be a good reason to finally start learning that horrid language.

Ñuño Martínez
04-01-2013, 04:56 PM
...no major studio will be investing on it... Actually I find most "AAA" games boring and I dislike them, so, who cares? ::)

that would be great if the market isnt flooted with AAA style titels and normal devs could continue to make games games without having to hit a standart
this already happen in the other appstores and is quite disappointing

i also read about people crying that OUYA dont had good copy protection, well bad news for this guys, smartphones and consoles are not save either
I've read about people crying that some copy protection are so hard that sometimes they can't play their legal games while pirates can play with minor problems. *cof*steam*cof*

Minecraft copy "protection" is great. Actually it has not. I think I'll use the same if someday I sell any of my games. 8)

Daikrys
04-01-2013, 06:02 PM
I've read about people crying that some copy protection are so hard that sometimes they can't play their legal games while pirates can play with minor problems. *cof*steam*cof*

thats the reason i personally dislike copy protections, it only harm people who pay for the game and leave the warez scenes with a often better version of the game
as Will already said, if someone dont want to pay for a game he still wouldnt do if there would be no warez version, guys who like the game will still buy it

i personally own some games that only work under 98/ME or xp due to copy protections ._.
the guild 2 addon can only installed when i use a mini image cause the original one will not work, copy protection ftw...

WILL
04-01-2013, 08:22 PM
lol You don't need to learn Java, just get yourself Oxygene for Java. ;)

Thats what we're using to get Subject 33 on the console and other Android devices. Free Pascal is nice and all, but with Oxygene it'll be more native on the platform. Esp. since it doesn't use your typical x86 processor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdN3OH5pC_4

Super Vegeta
04-01-2013, 08:37 PM
Yeah, but Oxygene costs some nice moneys. ;)

@down:
Several hundred dollas is still a lot.

WILL
04-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Not really. Not compared to Delphi.

SilverWarior
05-01-2013, 12:19 AM
I personally know that I won't be developing any games for OUYA for some time.
The main reasons for this are:
1. I still haven finished any of my games. So switching to another platform might require me to do lots of changes due the way that platform works. This would only prolong the time that I need to actually finish any of my games (currently only one in development but I have lots of ideas).
2. You need to know how certain platform works to be able to make most use out of it. So far I only have verry good knowledge of Windows platform (new versions of Windows are making my life a bit more dificult due to some changes made in them).
3. I personally don't have excess monex to go and buy new platform like Mac based computer (could probabbly aford to buy OUYA).
I don't own a SMARTPHONE since I have no need for it. I use my mobile (Nokia 5320) mostly for making calls to someone or recieve calls from others. And sometime I use integrated browser to check some web pages.
4. I'm also not prepared to go and buy a new development software as I invested quite some money in buying Delphi XE2 which I recently upgraded to XE3 for free (two year service support).
The other reason why I'm not changing Development IDE is the fact that I got used to Delphi and all its features. Tried some programing in Lazarus before upgrading and have been missing some of the features which are present in Delphi quite quickly. Also I got anoyed with one thing in lazarus. And that is that you can't use same name for imput variable of a Class Constructor and same Classes properyt. This can be easily used in Delphi without any problems but in Lazarus it is marked as doublenaming. So for me to port aproy 10k lines of code into lazarus required a few hours of figuring out what is the problem and then fixing it (I use lots of classes in that project).

WILL
23-02-2013, 10:41 PM
Subject 33 Alpha 9 now runs in Java RTE! :)

...and the library that we are using (libGDX) has just added OUYA Controls functionality not too long ago. We are getting closer to getting a game ready to deploy to the OUYA. My own OUYA console (which we'll be using to develop games for) and 2 controllers will arrive withing a month or two. Very excited!