PDA

View Full Version : 72 hour game dev competition (Dec 17-20 2004)

cairnswm
15-11-2004, 05:07 AM
http://www.finalredemption.com/72hourgdc/board/

WILL
16-11-2004, 04:21 AM
I've made a few post like these and noone here completes... :?

Though it's good that there are more coming that will accept entries from a Pascal team.

cairnswm
16-11-2004, 04:50 AM
I've finished 2 of these competitions before. The last Remakes competition another game project got in my way of finishing it so I didn't enter.

There is actually now a mailing list available that informs you of upcoming game dev compotitions.

http://www.gamecompo.com/

This 72hour competition is actually a team based competition if that makes anyone more interested. If I dont have a team, I'll probably compete on my own anyway.

If anyone does want to team up I plan on doing some sort of 2D puzzle, or text based game. I mostly need someone who can help me with graphics (making pretty pictures). I have spoken to my wife already to get that weekend off to spend on the game. My goal - finish in top 50% - both previous competitions Ive been between 50% and 60% down the list.

cairnswm
18-12-2004, 03:14 AM
This has started!

Theme - Customize

cairnswm
20-12-2004, 04:53 PM
Competition complete!!!

My entry is at:
http://www.cairnsgames.co.za\gdc72\foogs.zip

Done in Lazarus (FreePascal) and using the JEDI-SDL.

In a way it exposed some of the problems lazarus/freepascal has. I had to change the way I did things a couple of times to make sure it worked right. (I had some serious problems will using 'Self') this ment that my design had to break away from proper OO design and control everything from a main object.

tux
20-12-2004, 05:05 PM
strange how i missed this thread. i would have been interested :(

btw your link is broke, heres a working one http://www.cairnsgames.co.za/gdc72/foogs.zip

cairnswm
22-12-2004, 10:01 AM
My link works fine for me :)

There are a total of 25 entries. Now we have to judge each of the others entries.

I think out game was pretty good. Not very well roudned off but I had to write a complete platform game engine in the time available. Lots of improvements could be made to the animations and the moement. The game is based on my S2DL code released a month or so ago. I'll be updating these libraries over the next day or so.

We released 7 levels with the game. I should try release some more before judging is complete just for fun (We have a complete level editor - done in VB).

My team consisted of Myself, a friend (from Magic the Gathering) who doesn;t really know Pascal but was pretty good with the code he did develop and he also did 97% of the graphics, and his girlfriend who did some graphics as well. Benji has just finished his first year at university and is planning on being a Game Coder when he gets his degree. (It was interesting to work with students - I was last a student 13 years ago)

I saw the power of PhotoShop and I recon its a tool I really need to get.

If anyone has played the game please let me have some feedback. On my (brand new) P4 - 3.0 256MB, 128MB Radeon 9250 - it runs at about 150FPS, on my P2 700, 256MN, 64MB GeForce4 at 16FPS and is really slow.

{MSX}
22-12-2004, 12:39 PM
I saw the power of PhotoShop and I recon its a tool I really need to get.

W The Gimp :P

If anyone has played the game please let me have some feedback.
I've tried it but it doesn't run.
I run the executable, it creates the sdl windows but it suddendly close. It doesn't produce any output.

What could it be ?

tux
22-12-2004, 01:50 PM
i had that too (but it stayed open not closed) and i found that changing the config to put it in full screen fixes it

{MSX}
22-12-2004, 03:39 PM
Ok, i've found the config file and set debug.
(it doesn't work even in fullscreen btw)

Here's the output:

STATUS INFO : @ 16.43 MSG : Starting Application IN : Initialization
STATUS INFO : @ 16.43 MSG : SDL being started up. IN : S2DLDraws.Initialization
STATUS INFO : @ 16.43 MSG : Loading:Sky IN : ImageList.LoadImage
STATUS INFO : @ 16.43 MSG : Loading Image: images\Sky.bmp IN : TS2DLImage.LoadFromFile
STATUS INFO : @ 16.44 MSG : Loading:back IN : ImageList.LoadImage
STATUS INFO : @ 16.44 MSG : Loading Image: images\Back2.bmp IN : TS2DLImage.LoadFromFile
STATUS INFO : @ 16.44 MSG : Loading:man IN : ImageList.LoadImage
STATUS INFO : @ 16.44 MSG : Loading Image: images\man.bmp IN : TS2DLImage.LoadFromFile
STATUS INFO : @ 16.44 MSG : Loading:CPBack IN : ImageList.LoadImage
STATUS INFO : @ 16.44 MSG : Loading Image: images\CtrlPanelBack.bmp IN : TS2DLImage.LoadFromFile
STATUS INFO : @ 16.44 MSG : Loading:CPBar IN : ImageList.LoadImage
STATUS INFO : @ 16.44 MSG : Loading Image: images\CtrlPanelBar.bmp IN : TS2DLImage.LoadFromFile

[CUT]

STATUS INFO : @ 16.44 MSG : Loading Image: images\WoodBack.bmp IN : TS2DLImage.LoadFromFile
STATUS INFO : @ 16.44 MSG : Loading:Pole2 IN : ImageList.LoadImage
STATUS INFO : @ 16.44 MSG : Loading Image: images\Pole2.bmp IN : TS2DLImage.LoadFromFile
STATUS INFO : @ 16.44 MSG : Loading:Pole3 IN : ImageList.LoadImage
STATUS INFO : @ 16.44 MSG : Loading Image: images\Pole3.bmp IN : TS2DLImage.LoadFromFile
STATUS INFO : @ 16.44 MSG : Loading:CaveBack IN : ImageList.LoadImage
STATUS INFO : @ 16.44 MSG : Loading Image: images\CaveBack.bmp IN : TS2DLImage.LoadFromFile
STATUS INFO : @ 16.44 MSG : Loading:Fence IN : ImageList.LoadImage
STATUS INFO : @ 16.44 MSG : Loading Image: images\Fence.bmp IN : TS2DLImage.LoadFromFile
STATUS INFO : @ 16.44 MSG : Create Fonts IN :
STATUS INFO : @ 16.44 MSG : Font name: c:\windows\fonts\Arial.ttf IN : TS2DLFont.LoadFont
STATUS INFO : @ 16.44 MSG : Font size: 20 IN : TS2DLFont.LoadFont
*** ERROR *** : @ 16.44 MSG : Couldn't load font: Couldn't load font file IN : TS2DLFont.LoadFont
STATUS INFO : @ 16.44 MSG : Closing down fonts IN : S2DLText.Finalization
STATUS INFO : @ 16.44 MSG : SDL being closed down. IN : S2DLDraws.Finalization
STATUS INFO : @ 16.44 MSG : S2DLDraw surface being cleared IN : TS2DLDraw.Destroy
STATUS INFO : @ 16.44 MSG : Terminating Application IN : Finalization

cairnswm
22-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Its trying to load the Arial.ttf file from your windows directory.

What is your windows directory?

{MSX}
22-12-2004, 06:26 PM
Its trying to load the Arial.ttf file from your windows directory.

What is your windows directory?

ehm it's c:\winnt :P

you should set the windows directory by quering windows. There is an API for that

WILL
22-12-2004, 07:30 PM
Nice entry William. :) Maybe you and Traveler should collaborate on a series of Platform Game tutorials. :)

Robert Kosek
22-12-2004, 08:28 PM
*ahem* *cough* Please?! :wink:

cairnswm
23-12-2004, 03:29 PM
Sure would like to do some more tutorials. Just a bit busy at the moment. 2 weeks into a week vacation and I feel it hasn't started yet... Done 2 concrete floors, 10m of double wall, built a pond, done a 72hour GDC. Still got to do some Paving, build a small kitchen, and all the game stuff I want to do.

I like 2D stuff. I seem to dabble in all sorts of 2D areas without really being able to specialize in any.... I have done 2D isometric, 2D puzzles, 2D platform, busy doing a 2D shooter as well. I really need to settle on a graphics library and stick with it. (I've tried DelphiX, GLXtreem and SDL - so far SDL is better but slower on older PCs. I am currently not wanting to use a DirectX 9 engine as I want my game to run on my old Pentium2).

about fonts:
Actually I should include my own ttf files with the program and load then from the application directory. I need to find some nice ttf fonts that I can use. I just prefer arial anyway. Also a Graphics font engine would be a good idea but I dont feel like going to that effort at the moment.

cairnswm
10-01-2005, 08:43 AM
We finished (unofficially) 11th out of 25. That puts us into the top 50% of the entrants to the competition. So I'm pretty happy with the final result.

savage
10-01-2005, 09:07 AM
Well Done!!

WILL
11-01-2005, 04:08 AM
Good Job. ;)