PDA

View Full Version : Articles and Library-content Wish-list

Eriken
02-02-2005, 12:41 PM
If you've got any wishes for articles or library-content please put them in here. It'll give us something to look for or write, nothing like some inspiration.

Articles can be anything as long as it's somehow connected to Pascal or Game development. Interviews with Pascal-people, Articles about how to solve different challenges in Pascal, and more general issues with games, like arts, sounds or documentation ;)

If you've seen some articles out there that has been to a great value or you think should be in the library-section please let me know about that too.

So far I've got 1 request from Mr. Kosek: Tutorial on FPC and GL (Medium to Advanced)

Anything on your mind? speak up :) And if anyone sees a wish they could fulfill, let me know ;)

_____
Eriken

JSoftware
02-02-2005, 03:44 PM
i would love a matrix and quaternion article as i have near to no idea how these works..
with matrix i mean mostly the usual code like multiply with vectors, rotation matrices, projection matrices and such..

{MSX}
02-02-2005, 06:07 PM
I'd like a nice tutorial on how to do mesh collision. Not 100 partial articles that partially explains 100 different ways of doing that.
One nice, from-the-ground-up tutorial that simply explains how to do it.

Ps I can eventually candidate for writing the quaternion article.. but not soon :P
Anyone other interested apart JSoftware ?

M109uk
02-02-2005, 06:35 PM
Ps I can eventually candidate for writing the quaternion article.. but not soon
Anyone other interested apart JSoftware ?

Hi {MSX} i would be very intrested, never been very good at all the equations people use :?

I would like to see a good tutorial on the aspects of network methods, which would be best for what type of game and the best librarys to use..

TheLion
02-02-2005, 09:57 PM
Something on Landscape rendering and making it work efficient. There are tons of Landscape tutorials out there, but mostly just on the rendering, barely ever using octrees to make them efficient (or some other tree)...

WILL
03-02-2005, 03:19 AM
I personally have always wanted to read more stuff about AI concepts and maybe a really nice descriptive 'A* for Dummies' article as I have to this day not gotten it with whats available out there. :scratch:

Others things I'd enjoy reading:

:arrow: Probably already covered, but dealing with Objects more specifically with Interfaces. I've not used them and don't know if I'd want to or where they'd be best used.

:arrow: How to compile a Windows/Linux device driver such as a Joystick driver. :) Because I've searched everywhere and not found this at all. And I have personally made a for PC SNES Gamepad(using a real SNES gamepad) that connects to the printer port and I can program it's hardware, I just can't find out how to make the Windows driver that will allow me to use it like a normal joystick in Windows.

Hmm... what else... I know... how about another cool Interview? :twisted:

cairnswm
03-02-2005, 04:46 AM
:arrow: I really need an introduction into 3D programming. Right from the start, setting up the vertices, polygons etc.
:arrow: This should then be expanded into using models in the game.
:arrow: Then adding animation sequences in the model that can be used in the game.

From a 2D development point I think I am happy with what I have worked out for myself.

:arrow: With AI I need a good intro article on Genetic Algorithms and Neural Networks that isn't purely theoretical but actually explains what how to create it and how to use it for practicle game related problems.

The articles I want to write are
:arrow: Some articles around RTS development (2D)
:arrow: Something more on Web Services
:arrow: Something on writing an online meeting area for your game
:arrow: File security in game - checking people dont mess with your data files
:arrow: Simple fast in-memory databases for games

Edit to add:

:arrow: Make multilanguage configuration files
:arrow: form inheritence (very powerful but not well understood) - includes customized look and feel

TheLion
03-02-2005, 08:18 AM
:arrow: How to compile a Windows/Linux device driver such as a Joystick driver. :) Because I've searched everywhere and not found this at all. And I have personally made a for PC SNES Gamepad(using a real SNES gamepad) that connects to the printer port and I can program it's hardware, I just can't find out how to make the Windows driver that will allow me to use it like a normal joystick in Windows.

Don't want to steal this thread, but driver compilation (for windows) cannot be done with Delphi nor with FPC if I'm correct... The only compiler I know of that can do it is (and I hope I won't get banned for this ;)) Microsoft Visual C++. It's one of those things that Microsoft keeps hidden from the world and keeps for it's own products! ;)

JSoftware
03-02-2005, 10:16 AM
don't want to get too offtopic but windriver has some sort of code export to delphi.. haven't ever figured out how it works though :?

Eriken
23-02-2005, 05:11 PM
To try to pick up the thread again, someone asked for some 3D material, and I think someone also said that they could be able to do this?

Could you please, ehmm.. speak up again? ;)
_____
Eriken

M109uk
23-02-2005, 06:50 PM
I was thinking about writting a few quick articles based on lightmapping (based on one used in my engine), if any one would be intrested, how ever it will have to wait until i get back though!?!

cragwolf
23-02-2005, 10:19 PM
I would like the following:

1) An article that explains how to apply detail textures (or texture splatting) on a terrain using OpenGL and Delphi (or FPC). We want terrains that look good from a distance *and* close-up without the need for huge textures.

2) An article that describes the structure or architecture of a good-quality game engine, something that could actually be used (and reused) in creating a game. No need for implementation details, just the base classes and their interfaces. How sub-systems (e.g. user input, AI) interact with other sub-systems.

3) A scenegraph tutorial. What are they? Why should we use them? How to organise them? How to implement in Delphi/FPC?

4) A simple step-by-step shader example with OpenGL and some common shader language.

5) Time-based animation, possibly coupled with a replay system. Again, source code please! Just use a simple example of an opengl quad bouncing off the edges of the screen.

K4Z
25-02-2005, 12:54 PM
How bout some simpler articles that could help more people and clear up some common problems that most people face:

With games:

:arrow: Mabye more articles to do with 2d stuff.
:arrow: Creating a simple UI (buttons, edit boxes).
:arrow: Game states, etc.
:arrow: AI.
:arrow: Box and pixel collision detection.
:arrow: How to store game data (Images,Saved games,etc).

Most people already know how to do these, but people still get stuck here.
Mabye some Frameworks, with DelphiX or OpenGl, that'll help people get started with their games.

Outside of games:

:arrow: Compression
:arrow: Optimization
:arrow: Sockets,DxPlay,Indie, Multiuser stuff, etc
:arrow: DLL's
:arrow: MultiThreading

...Just to get started...

Incubii
25-02-2005, 10:56 PM
Well in terms of your suggestion on Frame works im currently converting NeHes tutorials for VC++ to Free Pascal. Im aware there is a Delphi conversion which all comments are in Czech so im slowly converting that to english as well. These tutorials start from the very start of setting up OpenGL to begin coding. There are 48 tutorials all up at the moment, but not all are easy to port, at least for me anyway :).

I hope by doing this we would have a great resource at least for OGL on Free Pascal and Delphi

K4Z
26-02-2005, 02:04 AM
Sounds like a perfect idea Incubii, I've read through NeHe tutorials a number of times, but always failed when trying to convert into delphi. OpenGl's not my strong piont, but really want to understand it better.

MichaelR
28-02-2005, 08:26 PM
With all the releases of the source for professional games, I would like to see a nice set of articles that goes blow by blow on the various parts of the source and gives an explantion / breakdown of what they to do give us a more clear idea of just how they do it.

Of course it would be much more handy if the source was in pascal, but the writer could always translate. :)

jamesa
28-02-2005, 09:07 PM
How about particle engine tutorial? :D This one puzzles me because I hardly find any Delphi articles about this subject.

Traveler
28-02-2005, 11:27 PM
How about particle engine tutorial? Very Happy This one puzzles me because I hardly find any Delphi articles about this subject.

Nehe's (http://nehe.gamedev.net/) 19th tutorial should help you there. Although the origional code is in C, a delphi port is also available.

NecroDOME
09-05-2005, 08:22 AM
Why not try to wrinte an advance tutorial, simple tutorials like setting op directX, OpenGL, creating triangles etc. you can google for it!

:arrow: I would like to see a tutorial about lightmapping (dynamic and static in 1 tutorial)
:arrow: Creating a simple UI (buttons, edit boxes). (like K4Zwrote)
:arrow: How to store game data (Images,Saved games,etc) in 1 big file.