PDA

View Full Version : CrossFPC

Micronix-TRSI
19-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Simon Kissel (aka scamp) and Benjamin Rosseaux (aka Bero) released CrossFPC

target: win 32/64bit, linux 32/64bit, arm android

CrossFPC may also be used to create binaries that run on modern mobile handset devices based on the ARM platform, for example Android phones. This requires quite a lot of work and detailed platform knowledge. We plan to work on this and create examples and instructions for various phone platforms in the future. The minimum supported ARM version for Android is ARMv7a.

read about it (236MB download) http://www.crossfpc.com

laggyluk
19-03-2013, 09:34 PM
interesting. is it currently possible to create apps with gui?

phibermon
19-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Ahh! interesting, I like it :D I'm sure there's more than a few people that will make good use of this, the page in question makes an excellent case for it's creation, also their planned additions to ease Android development are in much need at present, hopefully they'll be kind enough to share any appropriate additions with the FPC team at that later stage.

What's interesting to note is that they also seem to have gotten debugging integrated with the Delphi IDE. I could never justify the cost of Delphi given it's dire platform support, but with a ready to roll integration with the superior compiler? I think I'll be assessing the latest Delphi to see if I can work more quickly in it as apposed to Lazarus, I might be able to justify spending the money now.

SilverWarior
20-03-2013, 05:21 AM
What's interesting to note is that they also seem to have gotten debugging integrated with the Delphi IDE.

Based on the fact that Delphi XE2 used FPC compiler for compling MacOS and iOS applications I don't think it would be so hard to use some other compiler with the Delphi IDE.
I have been quering about the ability to maybe use Delphi 7 compiler with latest Delphi IDE on Embarcadero Developer Network, but I haven't got many replies. The ones that I got didn't confirm or either denny that something like this is posible.
I asume that this subject is "big tabu" for discussing on EDN which is understandable becouse if they do thell how you can use combination of their IDE and FPC for compiling MacOS and iOS applications all the work they have done in developing their own would go down the drain.

marcov
03-08-2013, 09:02 AM
Ahh! interesting, I like it :D I'm sure there's more than a few people that will make good use of this, the page in question makes an excellent case for it's creation, also their planned additions to ease Android development are in much need at present, hopefully they'll be kind enough to share any appropriate additions with the FPC team at that later stage.

One of their employees (Nico) is part of Core now, and one of the old core members(Karoly) started to work for them. Both mainly work on ARM optimization support, and the work flows into trunk direcly. (newer coremember) Jeppe also works on that, but on his own accord. Karoly works on m68k in his own time.

A large delegation (6+) of the FPC core team went to visit them (Virprinet company/Scamp/Bero/Nico) in May. Bero was still working on an own pascal compiler :-)

What's interesting to note is that they also seem to have gotten debugging integrated with the Delphi IDE. I could never justify the cost of Delphi given it's dire platform support, but with a ready to roll integration with the superior compiler? I think I'll be assessing the latest Delphi to see if I can work more quickly in it as apposed to Lazarus, I might be able to justify spending the money now.

Afaik the main problem of debugging is not the IDE, but GDB. Afaik they still need GDB too, which is a bit in a state on Windows. Probably they have less problems with that since they generally debug arm binaries, with the GDB running on *nix.