PDA

View Full Version : Delphi does it already

cairnswm
15-04-2005, 09:37 AM
Read this thread on the benefits of using D. I thought it quite funny as most of the benefits in D are long surpassed by Delphi and for that matter Pascal:

http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?t=2857

Sly
15-04-2005, 09:45 AM
Same with a lot of the features in C# that people were going nuts over when it was first released.

User137
08-06-2005, 08:34 AM
This language is something that made me drooling some time ago :shock:
Have you ever looked into some of code made for it? It doesn't even need functions or class methods to be declared! Syntax is much faster to learn than C++, but you still get at least the same speed.
Is Freepascal even as fast as C++? Maybe i'll test them later today... Have working D-compiler already :wink:
Perhaps i'm moving into making opengl games with D sooner or later, at least it needs a good IDE like Delphi, but when that happens, it has overwhelming potential to surpass many of current languages...

And what Delphi cannot do is driver level programming. Can Delphi make a new operating system? Perhaps with help of assembly language, but that is part of D too. Syntax of C++ is mess, Java is clear but terrible jungle of classes, Delphi is clear, D is evenly clear :D

JSoftware
08-06-2005, 03:50 PM
i'm currently working to make a kernel in fpc. i've a simple bootloader done in asm and so far it seems to be able to work.. only need the linking and it should be ready :D

{MSX}
08-06-2005, 04:41 PM
[quote="JSoftware"]i'm currently working to make a kernel in fpc. i've a simple bootloader done in asm and so far it seems to be able to work.. only need the ]

cool! tell us more :P
Do you have a website ?

Lightning
10-06-2005, 12:26 PM
IF they can make Operating Systems in FPC like DelphineOS and others why wouldn't they be able to make drivers, in Linux driver making seems not to be verry hard, in windows you can make drivers even in old Borland C, how ? .. well it's a simple dll renamed as sys and you call your code from there, also check out ZLPortIO wich has a multi porpose driver 3 KB or so, you can even access hardware without any drivers using callgates and such, depending on what you plan to do you have multiple choices:
Serial Access - Lots of components for Delphi and FPC, check Synaser for example.
Paralell access use ZLPortIO for win32 and libs for Linux.
USB access even 2.0, use HID from JEDI or even better libusb wich is ported to win32 too, lod_ (the guy from IRC) made himself a header using h2pas to use with lasers and those kind of devices.

There is no limit to what Pascal can do, you just have to love the language and serch for how to do it, personally i didn't find yet any language that is a good as Object Pascal in terms of syntax quality, IDEs, and overall speed and capabilities, there are many new languages that have certain features from Pascal or Java like .NET but nothing compares to the real thing, lately i even discovered you can write web pages in Pascal instead of PHP using PSP(Pascal Server Pages), you just make a small executable and put it in Apache's cgi-bin folder and there you have it, interactive webpage made with Pascal wich you can uplod to sourceforge for example, PasWiki uses PSP.

The fans of other languages and Pascal beginers often think that Pascal is not powerful, please tell me one thing that Pascal can't do and i'm pretty sure there is a way to do even that :)

JSoftware
10-06-2005, 12:32 PM
well now i've had my bootloader to work but i can't seem to be able to compile any pascal code down in an obj file without have it to need all sort of external object libraries. i wonder how they did it with petrOS which was said to be compiled in fpc.