PDA

View Full Version : Model formats

Alimonster
06-11-2002, 08:14 PM
I've been busy recently converting the gametutorials.com (http://www.gametutorials.com) model format tutorials. It occurs to me, however, that I'm reinventing the wheel. Looking at some of your websites (yep, I read every site in the profiles of those who joined up!), I've noticed many of you have written your own MD2/whatever classes.

This thread is a show of hands for model formats in OpenGL (MD2, MD3, ASE...). If you've converted one and want to show it off, bung a link here. It seems a little silly for everyone to do this on their own! With luck, this thread will turn out as a categorical list of all model formats.

Btw, I remember reading that Project-JEDI planned to turn their MD2 viewer into a full-blown model loading series (with different formats). Any news on that, savage [IIRC, you're the dude who did the class]?

I'll start the show of hands. I've got MD2, OBJ and 3DS loaders (converted from gametutorials.com), though they're not uploaded to my site yet since I've got to fix some bugs first.

What about you? (Points towards reader.)

Phobeus
08-11-2002, 09:12 AM
Not sure, if it's interesting at all. I am member of a team of a german delphi opengl community and we ported Milkshape .ms3d Format:
http://dgl.quellcodes.de/script/do_download.php?action=505

And started for a plugin for AC3D:
http://dgl.quellcodes.de/script/do_download.php?action=502

Maybe you find this stuff interesting? However our page is in german, but maybe you find also some interesting stuff on it (source, for god's sake, is international at all ;)) Feel free to visit us, if you have questions or want to mention your opengl site, also feel free to mail me. We are always collection good sources for our community:
http://dgl.quellcodes.de

Ceyas

savage
12-11-2002, 10:48 AM
Alimonster wrote :
>> Btw, I remember reading that Project-JEDI planned to turn their MD2
>> viewer into a full-blown model loading series (with different formats). Any
>> news on that, savage [IIRC, you're the dude who did the class]?

Yes that was the plan and I had started on a plugin system that would use JEDI-SDL for Input / Window management and OpenGL for rendering, that should work on both Windows and Linux. The fact is Life (tm) got in the way and it got moved to the back burner. I tested the cross-platform plugin system an inital tests were promising.

Using the cross-platform plugin system it could "easily" ( well if you have the knowledge, which I don't ) be extended to also do conversions between formats.

PS. Would you be able to send me the 3DS viewer you have created, as the one I have ( Opener by Mike Lischke ) does not render some 3DS models correcttly.

Alimonster
12-11-2002, 01:57 PM
PS. Would you be able to send me the 3DS viewer you have created, as the one I have ( Opener by Mike Lischke ) does not render some 3DS models correcttly.
You'll have to give me a day or two to iron out the bugs - it's simply a conversion of the one in gametutorials.com (the third octree part, I think, or maybe the 3ds loader tutorial itself). It converts it into the model format used by the tutorial (which I've kinda converted into a class, w.i.p). I'm not sure it's general purpose, mind you, since I haven't got around to checking the 3ds specs.

If you're in need of an immediate fix, here's Lord CRC's site (http://home.online.no/~bheid/prog/programming.htm), which is one of those gems you only find out about by accident ;). His software 3d engine has a 3ds loader, "load3ds.pas" - again, I can't say whether it's general purpose.

I hear ya on the "Life" thing, sigh.

savage
12-11-2002, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the link. I had been there before but did not download the engine.

I will see if that works this evening.

savage
12-11-2002, 07:01 PM
Hi Alimonster,
No Lord CRC's 3DS loader suffers from the same problem as Mike Lischke's. When the Object nears the left and right edges of the screen it distorts the model by streching it.

I will see if the game tutorials version works before hassling you for your port :).

McCLaw
13-11-2002, 09:30 AM
Hi all :D

I just joined this BB.

In the last week we ( McCLaw/Snake) fixed a few bugs in my .Obj loader
Tutorial.

Unfortunately I dont have ftp access to mmy site until I find some new hosting space:(, but I will post the new tut as soon as possible.

www.sulaco.co.za

Alimonster
13-11-2002, 09:50 AM
Excellent work :!:

If you need a temporary fix, mail me the stuff [akeys "at" icscotland "dot" net, or just hit the mail button on this message ;)] (assuming it's not too big, less than a couple of megs) and I'll chuck it up on my site until you get ftp access to yours.

[EDIT: Uh, the mail button seems to have vanished. Am I going crazy? It's sitting in my profile though...]

Alimonster
13-11-2002, 09:54 AM
Oh, and Dom, I've checked through the 3ds loader. As far as I can see, the 3ds file itself is pretty much done. I only have to check that my BlockRead/FillChar calls are safe, and then update the code to use classes (it's records just now).

I'll chuck up the md2 loader tonight.

McCLaw
13-11-2002, 10:01 AM
Excellent work :!:

If you need a temporary fix, mail me the stuff [akeys "at" icscotland "dot" net, or just hit the mail button on this message ;)] (assuming it's not too big, less than a couple of megs) and I'll chuck it up on my site until you get ftp access to yours.

Ill do so.

I just need to add some comments to the code.
:oops:

Alimonster
13-11-2002, 10:12 AM
You have plenty of time, dude - I won't be able to upload it until about 8 hours from now ^_^. Can't check personal email until I get home, unfortunately.

Alimonster
13-11-2002, 11:12 PM
Here's the MD2 conversion: http://www.alistairkeys.co.uk/download/md2.zip (431K).

I got bored with the file sitting on my hard disc, so I uploaded it in an almost-fit-for-consumption-but-not-quite state :roll: It does the job, more or less.

I took the gametutorials.com structure (model, object...) and fleshed them out slightly into classes. However, they're not completely thought-out at present, so expect a few pieces of missing functionality. In particular, the texture + material stuff is rather unintegrated at the mo.

I'll upload the .OBJ loader some time soon - it's sitting there. I originally planned to release both formats at the same time, but took out the OBJ until I got it fixed up properly (still a bit of work to do).

The 3DS loader is done - but I've not finished the octree tutorial, so I don't know if it works! Also, it's not been updated to use the fledgling classes for models, etc. yet. I've still to "Delphi-ize" it and clean it up. Nonetheless, you can grab an early (and probably-not-compiling) version here: http://www.alistairkeys.co.uk/download/3ds_start.zip (13K)

savage
16-11-2002, 07:58 PM
Hi Alimonster,
I have just had to reformat my HD and reinstall Windoze so will get round to looking at you 3DS stuff tomorrow ( I hope ).

As anyone seen what format they use for Unreal Tournament 2003?
With full physics turned on they really look realistic when they get killed.
I would be interested in any information on the UT model format.

Only played the demo so far, but I am very impressed with the game so far.