PDA

View Full Version : Who feels ready for a competition in November?

WILL
26-08-2005, 10:31 AM
Hey guys,

I realize that there has been alot of competitions in the last little while, and some are even actively coding an entry to one of these even now! :) But I wanted to know. How feels that they will be able to participate in a small competition in November?

It's nothing big, just a small 'challenge' and something to try to out-do everyone else with, but it could be loads of fun.

Who would be interested or able to work on a 2-3 week event sometime in November?

Sly
26-08-2005, 11:30 AM
I think November will be fine for me, after the first weekend.

cairnswm
26-08-2005, 12:12 PM
ME ME ME

Surprised you even asked me to enter the poll :) - Oh what poll :)

technomage
26-08-2005, 01:57 PM
I might give it a go this time. Means I won't be able to judge though :cry:

Dean

BlueCat
26-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Even I might try this one, first time for everything :D

K4Z
27-08-2005, 12:31 AM
I'd be up for it too, 2-3 weeks sounds good.

Balaras
27-08-2005, 09:36 AM
Sure :)

What kind of challenge? A whole game ? Or perhaps just part of.
:arrow: See who can get the smoothest/most flexible/easiest to use UI running ?
:arrow: How about network ? We could setup benchmarks that the entrants must process the fastest/most reliable

Other ideas ?

Twistofchaos
27-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Hi,

I've never participated in any gamecoding competition, but sounds
like fun :) , so depending on the requirements for the game, i'll join in.

Stan

laslego
27-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Could be nice :)

WILL
27-08-2005, 05:54 PM
Well this one would be the first PGD member judged. :)

I already have a 'theme' set out for it. But I won't be releasing that information until the time of the competition, for obvious reasons.

As for the format, I was thinking of doing a more demoscene type of competition. Which basically means more focused on graphics and audio than any controls or network support.

Eriken
27-08-2005, 06:16 PM
A programmers art compo? will ascii do?

BlueCat
30-08-2005, 05:13 PM
/\ /\
o o
><

W1NN4RRR111!!1!

Robert Kosek
30-08-2005, 05:29 PM
I think you mean:

^^
oo
><

:P

Heh, good luck to the folks who enter!

BlueCat
30-08-2005, 09:28 PM
ok you win, is there a prize for second place? :P

BlueCat
14-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Delphi Man competition anyone? :lol:

Smotsholle
26-09-2005, 03:00 PM
How about just a general game-maker competition?

Then any game will suffice.
It's hard to chose a best game then, but I think the amount of entries will be higher.

Traveler
26-09-2005, 03:28 PM
I'm probably not going to enter.

However, I'm thinking about offering my services as graphics artist.

JSoftware
26-09-2005, 04:35 PM
However, I'm thinking about offering my services as graphics artist.

ehehe :P what was your mail again?

WILL
26-09-2005, 11:23 PM
This is NOT the Annual PGD Competition, this year's has passed and next years will be early next year. Most likely from Jan to Apr. depending on the deadlines we find acceptable.

This is a PGD Challenge... it will be instead of a FULL game, just a coding challenge for those entering to try to out do the others. It would be like a demo competition. Do something graphical and impressive using your programming skills. And it is not intended to be a big challenge(like a game), just something small.

Someone experienced at these should be able to whip one up in a few days, but taking the rest of the time to improve and work out little issues the rest of the week or so left.

LP
27-09-2005, 01:14 AM
Talking about ascii art, don't forget that TMDC (http://www.taat.fi/tmdc) will take place in November 2005. I hope people from here can enter and show what pascal programmers can do! :)

I entered it several times with my team and failed... :cry:

Paulius
27-09-2005, 08:59 AM
I wouldn't call the third place a failure Lifepower, you did get a diploma or something, wright? :) I?¢_Tm thinking of entering this year too, but can't seem to find decent free music. So what does everyone else think about dominating TMDC with pascal productions? :twisted:

LP
27-09-2005, 02:27 PM
I wouldn't call the third place a failure Lifepower, you did get a diploma or something, wright? :)
Well... :oops: When there are 11 entries total, 3rd place is like 27% below the first place which is pretty low. Besides, you can't 'almost win', so winning is winning :)

I?¢_Tm thinking of entering this year too, but can't seem to find decent free music.
You can visit ModPlug Community (http://www.modplug.com/forum/index.php) to ask for a music tracker, I'm sure there will be someone wiling to help. By the way, LPChip (another founder of Afterwarp Interactive - our music tracker) is a webmaster there! :shock:

WILL
28-09-2005, 11:39 PM
Hmm... perhaps you can ask LPChip to drop by PGD on occation? Or perhaps just write the odd article for us. ;)

LP
29-09-2005, 12:39 AM
Hmm... perhaps you can ask LPChip to drop by PGD on occation? Or perhaps just write the odd article for us. ;)
I probably would, but knowing him, it's very likely he'll say one of the following:

- I had no inspiration!
- I've been too busy!
- I'm on vacation but am busy anyways!
- Don't even think on asking me this... Impossible!
- I will do what I want, not what you ask!

So... :oops: I'll try to tell him. :)