PDA

View Full Version : PixelprachtFX

technomage
24-11-2005, 06:46 PM
Anyone used PixelprachtFX (http://www.phobeus.de/hosting/pixelpracht/main.php?s=opengl&t=4&p=1) :?: .

I've seen the demo and it looks like a good particle engine. My problem is that it's windows specific (i.e a DLL). Anyone know if there is a cross platform version or even if the source code is available :?: Or even any links to good particle engines :?:

Dean

lithander
25-11-2005, 09:31 AM
If you PM me an email-adress I can give you the full source. (with no DLL's needed) I wrote and tested it only on Delphi. How difficult it is to make it cross-platform would be up to you to judge!

However there's no documentation so you'll have to browse through the code, read the comments there and try to make sense of it^^

-lith

Firlefanz
25-11-2005, 12:20 PM
@lithander: I would like to have the source, too, this is really veryvery interesting Stuff! :D

Would I be allowed to add some similar FX based on your FX into my game? You have fantastic effects in there, especially the fire smoke and the explosion :)

Ps: The source is included in the Download? I can get the Exe to work and it shows 1 demo, the other stuff does not work, there seem to be file(s) missing. I included some in the uses clause but Geometry.pas is missing it seems.

Thanks a lot,
Firle

lithander
28-11-2005, 06:05 PM
kk, I don't want to send you all emails so I uploaded a package that might be usefull for one or another.
http://www.phobeus.de/hosting/pixelpracht/junkyard/ppFXPreRelease.rar

The Rar consists of a project that i used to test new effects. It shows
pretty well how to implement some fx-classes (fxBurn.pas, fxBurn2.pas) and
how to use these effects in an OpenGL environment. (main.pas)
The particle-engine doesn't depend on dll's anymore and it has some new
features compared to the version used for the Demo.

Sorry that there is no doc.

many thx phobeus that you still host my stuff and give me access to the dgl server even though I'm inactive for ages now
:!:

You can use the stuff for your own projects. Consider it as open source. However if you do make some cool stuff with it write me an email. I'd love to see the engine (or whatever you make from it) used in some neat games! ;)
And if anyone wants to develop it further, document it or make it more usefull for the community by any other means: go ahead!^^

If there are questions, post them here. I make sure to drop in within the next days! However I'm out of Delphi programming for 2 years, dunno how helpfull I can be.^^

Hope it helped!

Cyas,
Lith

technomage
29-11-2005, 06:58 PM
Thanks for posting the code. :D

For those of you having problems with Geometry.pas the easiest solutuion is to replace references to ppOpengl with gl and glu (if you have JEDI-SDL) and remove the call to InitOpenGL. the Geometry unit is only needed for the definitions of TVector3f TMatrix4d etc.

The demo worked fine without any problems, nice a quick, I epsicially like the fxBurn effect (the one that looks like a fire). I've started to implement an effect of my own using the Burn and Burn2 as templates. I'll post questions as I come across them, I'll try and document what I can as I go.

Thanks again for posting this :D :D

Firlefanz
30-11-2005, 07:35 AM
Thanks a lot. Having no time yet, I must try this later.
I am working on a little particle editor for Omega, maybe I can borrow some ideas. :D

Firle

savage
30-11-2005, 11:57 AM
Hey Dean,
If you have a JEDI-SDL version of the demo, I'd love to added it to the OpenGL demos on sourceforge.

technomage
30-11-2005, 10:50 PM
Dom

no SDL version yet, the current one still uses te VCL for the form, I'll do a conversion over the next week or so and get it into cvs asap.

technomage
02-12-2005, 01:52 PM
Good news, I got the engine working with JEDI-SDL and Free Pascal under Windows. I will try and test it on linux at some point. I'll tidy up the demo and get it into cvs over the weekend.

This is a very cool engine, I've had a play with it and I've managed to do some nice effects in very little time at all, and I don't think I'll have a problem integrating it into one of my projects. Lith nice work you've done a great job here :D