PDA

View Full Version : Hosting

BlueCat
04-02-2003, 12:53 PM
I'm looking into the possibility of mirroring or even moving the site to a different host. I'd rather not but as we are still experiencing problems with access to the site I need to do something about it. f2o.org is the best *free* hosting solution I've ever seen but their recent upgrade problems have continued to affect DGDev on a regular basis. One option is to move the whole thing over to DelphiGamer.

I know that Dan at f2o is considering going back to the old server which is very stable. However you look at it, he is trying his best to provide the best service possible and we should thank him for that. The service is free after all.

I am confident that f2o will resolve it's problems in due course. However I need some feedback from our members as it's you who have to look at server errors all day!

TheLion
05-02-2003, 09:54 PM
We should talk about the mirroring thing someday BlueCat, however I love f2o, since it's VERY good and VERY fast! :) I'm actually thinking of putting my own website up here, since tripod is slow, it ruins my site with advertisement, you can barely ever download perfect with Download Accelerator and I can't link to downloadable files from other websites to mine... In short it really sucks! :)

I think f20 is doing it's best to provide the best service they can and they always made sure the downtime didn't last for more than 24 hours (don't think we ever had a 24 hour downtime)... Some things just can't be helped! :) I worked as a trainee (networking/server admin and developer of software for in-company use) for a hosting provider, so I know some things just can't be helped! ;)

BTW, I think it's nice f2o posts information of WHY the servers are down, if tripod goes down you never know that it happens and why it happens and the worst part is, you can't complain or ask, since they don't have technical support / helpdesk! :(

BlueCat
16-02-2003, 02:52 PM
Well that's that decided then! Those 'critical errors' have disappeared and I haven't noticed any downtime lately. We'll stay where we are for the foreseeable future. Thanks :)

fitzbean
20-03-2003, 11:04 PM
how much traffic do you move a month?