PDA

View Full Version : December 2005 DirectX SDK - now with Direct3D10 preview !!!

Clootie
13-12-2005, 11:19 PM
MS published new December DirectX SDK Update - now with Direct3D10 preview!

Sorry, no Delphi headers for Direct3D10 yet. But don't worry there is still no OS to try them in....
But updated D3DX9 and XACT headers are in SourceForge CVS. More info as usual on www.clootie.ru

Firlefanz
15-12-2005, 08:01 AM
Thanks a lot Clootie. :D

Firle

Clootie
15-12-2005, 02:12 PM
:D

LP
09-01-2006, 05:13 AM
I'm bringing back this topic with few questions. New DX SDK comes with XBox controller support and similar. I was wondering, what is the real adventage of providing support for XBox controllers? If they are plugged in to PC, can't they be accessed through regular DirectInput interface? Finally, what is advantage of getting XBox controller for PC instead of a third-party gamepad? I mean, I have a gamepad which I got for about $20 (12 buttons, two joysticks, 2-way force feedback, one arrow-pad and some misc buttons) and it looks more advanced than XBox gamepad. ;)

Clootie, you know anything about this?

WILL
09-01-2006, 06:42 AM
Finally, what is advantage of getting XBox controller for PC instead of a third-party gamepad?
If you get a MadCatz PC controller, it's just the same as an XBox controller. I know because I have one and it's exactly the same controls. ;)

Clootie
09-01-2006, 09:58 AM
Lifepower: Yes XBox360 [wired] controller can be plugged into PC, you will only need to download driver for it. MS has plans to advertise this controller for PC gaming.

Advantages? It's now easier to port XBox games to PC?
OK, straight from MS mouth: XInput vs Directinput (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/directx9_c/dx9_xinput_xinput_dinput.asp)

Sly
09-01-2006, 10:52 AM
To use the full functionality of the Xbox360 controller in a PC app, you must use XInput.

The Xbox360 controller is very nice to use. We've got a couple of Xbox360's at work with the wireless controllers.

LP
09-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Thanks for clearing this up! :)

It's still a little sad that Microsoft separated input API this way though. It would nice if XInput could access other DirectInput devices (or vice-versa: DirectInput could access all the functionality of XBox controller). I'm still curious though, why vibration functionality is not supported in DirectInput for XBox controller. It *is* force-feedback, right?