PDA

View Full Version : 2006 PGD Annual: Stage 5 Goals

McCLaw
29-03-2006, 07:19 PM
Am I missing someting, or is stage 5 only a matter of setting your rez, etc...?

You guys recon the image below will make this stage complete?

http://www.sulaco.co.za/SetupScreen.jpg

aidave
29-03-2006, 07:45 PM
Goal #1 (10 Points) - Engine must allow you to play more than one level per play. Design a minimum of 2 levels to be played by optional selection or in sequence.

McCLaw
29-03-2006, 08:09 PM
Goal #1 (10 Points) - Engine must allow you to play more than one level per play. Design a minimum of 2 levels to be played by optional selection or in sequence.

We have 2 level's :)

Shallow Grave, and Urban Assault (Under condstruction)

McCLaw
29-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Its a pity I cant get the track bar's background to be transparent. :(

Traveler
29-03-2006, 08:43 PM
Its a pity I cant get the track bar's background to be transparent. Sad

Since you appear to have time left, why don't you create your own? :twisted:

But yeah,.. with stage 5 it seems like we've time left to do so some beautifying. :D

Huehnerschaender
29-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Hmmm.... I don't have any settings right now... and I don't even think I will support different video modes... I have more than one level, but my menu and settings still needs MUCH work. So I don't think I have much time left to do "cosmetics". Nevertheless I do exactly this right now :lol:

At the moment I try to optimize my ground rendering, which still needs too much "time" in my opinion. I loose half of FPS only by switching ground drawing on. There is much potential in this I think ^^

I also want to put in some nice features like dirttracks of tankchains, unlimited explosioncraters and the snow staying at the ground after falling from heaven.... shortly said: I need to manipulate my background textures over the whole map. It would be easy, but my calculations results are, that I would need several hundred MB to store all my background tiles of a single level seperately without using them redundantly. So I am searching for good options to get my ideas work without blasting the needed hardware specs to hell.

Also I am still at the collision responses, which is no cosmetics, but essential need for the game to make fun (it's annoying when the objects behave absolutely unnatural when colliding). This also is hard work for me cause I am no ace in maths, especially algebra. Collision detection is no problem. Works fine.

Wheeee.... there is so much to do.... I don't really know if I find all the time. I don't like to submit "unfinished" things... 6 weeks is a very short time to get all the things done for stage 6, and so the last submission.

Hope you other competitors don't have such time problems... it's really annoying to have to make your job, care about your family and have those competition deadlines in the neck :evil: But somehow I even like the stress :lol:

So far....

Dirk

McCLaw
30-03-2006, 06:03 AM
But yeah,.. with stage 5 it seems like we've time left to do so some beautifying. :D

No time for that on our side, we still need to sort out the AI for the tanks and boss, and build a sound engine from scratch :shock:

savage
30-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Wheeee.... there is so much to do.... I don't really know if I find all the time. I don't like to submit "unfinished" things... 6 weeks is a very short time to get all the things done for stage 6, and so the last submission.

Remember Dirk that real game companies have to reduce their feature sets all the time to meet deadlines, otherwise games would just keep slipping as everyone keeps adding cooler an cooler features and the game never gets released. At some point you will need to say, I only have x amount of time I can only implement y number of features which will make the game more enjoyable. It's always a trade-off as time and money are not limit less.

Huehnerschaender
30-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Yes, I know...

But sometimes it overwhelmes me and I start to prog on an idea I just got :lol:
Can't do anything against it... when it gets me, it gets me :)

But I will finish several things now that I am on. And if there is time, I start new things. I don't want to end in a mess like last year. Spending months of time in a project which doesn't get finished.

This year I WILL submit a working game, even if it has only half of the features implemented I want to.

Greetings,
Dirk