PDA

View Full Version : Scripting the Game of Lemmings with a Genetic Algorithm

WILL
08-08-2006, 12:40 AM
Here is a really cool paper by Graham Kendall and Kristian Spoerer at the University of Nottingham. (School of Computer Science & IT)

Basicaly they take a simplified version of the Lemmings game and use an "evolutionary approach to solving maps" with genetic algorithms to modify the scripts that control the Lemmings as a computer controlled player.

Paper(PDF): Scripting the Game of Lemmings with a Genetic Algorithm (http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~kts/Research/CEC04.pdf)

tanffn
08-08-2006, 07:40 AM
sounds like a nice paper! ..not really sure how it can be done as it a group/joint effort :scratch:
Didn’t have time to read it as im in the office but from the quick glance I can tell you it lacks pictures :)

WILL
08-08-2006, 08:22 AM
If you scroll down, you'll see charts. I believe these are the 'simple' levels they were using for their theories.

I didn't read in great detail, but from the first page or so it seemed actually quite easy to digest their points.

tanffn
08-08-2006, 10:07 AM
the method is explained in page 3 and 4, basically they create a scrip that is based on the lemming ID (lSet) and the lemming command (cSet). All of that is entered into a sequence based on the time stamp (t).

Quite straight forward, but it looks like they got it to work :) and even in not in too many iteration which is, surprising.

fauvem
24-08-2006, 04:11 AM
Looks interesting, I'll read it on the weekend.

Pocus
29-08-2006, 08:29 AM
very interesting yes. But it also proves that we are far from having GA in complex games 8)

I will stick to FSM and the likes for now!

WILL
29-08-2006, 08:58 AM
I'm all for FSM myself. And I love going into new territory with GAs and even NNs, but I find currently the best and most interesting kinds of AI for games are that of a hybrid nature. Mix FSM and GAs and even NNs together and you get some cool results sometimes.

Mind you you can also end up with a headache instead too. :P

JernejL
06-10-2006, 10:46 PM
actually, lemmings are not suicidal:
http://www.islandnet.com/~trout/Archive/Lemmings.htm

WILL
06-10-2006, 11:48 PM
:D I actualy read up on Wikipedia about real lemmings after about the 2nd 'Lemmings' related topic I was involved in. (Thats the conversation between me and Traveler about the new PGD logo screen, not the 'Lemmix' game thread. :P --Does it kinda look like a Lemming Map to you? :))

So has anyone actually tried to play with this idea at all yet?