PDA

View Full Version : Beginner (Some question about making 3D models).

Chesso
08-01-2007, 05:42 AM
Well bascially... where do I start lol?

I have played with DeleD, Blender, MilkShape3D and well I can never seem to make anything usefull, aside from making a rectangle and playing with random options and hoping they do something..... can't even figure out how to get a texture on a model LMAO!

I have attempted to read and follow quite a number of tutorials for these programs but can't seem to get anywhere.

I had basically given up completely until now when I need a to create a 2D animated sprite (an originalish one) for my game, I'm not good at spriting and figured if I could learn to make 3D models, I could simply do that and hopefully move it however I like after it's creation? instead of having to draw the animation myself.

Aside from the fact that i'd have to learn to use one of these programs, I think it might be easier then learning to draw that sort of stuff.

Anyway, basically I'm interested in creating small 3D models that will eventually become my 2D animated sprites.

Any information, help, recommendations etc? :P

Traveler
08-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Creating 3d models is not something you'll learn overnight. There are a lot of different aspects that come to play when creating a 3d object.
First you need to create the object itself. There are quite a few techniques for that alone. Some modelers for example prefer the boxmodel technique where they start with a box and add new geometry from there to create a whole body or arm or head or whatever it is they are making. Others prefer starting with a single polygon (http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/head1.asp).

After the object is completed, you'll need to texture it. Techniques like uv-mapping come to play there, which is definitely not an easy subject, especially with organic objects.

The best way to get better at it, is to stick with one program and continue to practice. Dont think 'oh this this is too difficult, lets try a different program', because it will be just as hard. Learn the tool first, get to know it advantages and disadvantages. Start with easy non-organic objects. A spaceship for example, or a house.
Then, when you feel comfortable enough, try something more difficult.

The only answer to your question is: practice, practice and practice.
(I've been using Lightwave for like 7 years now and even I still find it difficult to create good looking objects.)
You've already mentioned tutorials, and those really are a good way to learn good modeling. Other great (better) sources for learning are books and especially video tutorials. The latter are found more often on the internet nowadays but if you really want to get into it I really suggest buying them on dvd. I'm not sure they are available for Blender or MilkShape, but I have some for Lightwave and I can tell you, they are worth every penny.

I hope this helps a bit.

Paizo
08-01-2007, 10:52 AM
i'm very interested on this topic!

some years ago i read some tutorial and i made a model for quake (the first one ;) ).

i used 3d studio, starting from a a cube as told Traveler, than for texture i used id software tools. The worst was exporting frame per frame :( (.3ds files)

i think that use your model on your own app should be very cool but i really dunno nothing about 3D + delphi.

Chesso
08-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Well the approach I was going for, I wouldn't actually be using the 3D model in the game, but exporting frames of animation as normal graphic files and then just sticking them together.

But i'm actually not sure if the same look as doing it the plain old way can be achieved using a 3D model (I wonder if you can construct such small 3D models lol).

NecroDOME
08-01-2007, 12:34 PM
I using 3D max. Like Traveler said, it's not something you learn over night. However to still make a nice model fast you put a picture of that object at the background. This way you can just follow the lines/curves of that object with your geometry object.

Like the URL Traveler gave you.

Or this:
http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials/nissan/nissan_3.asp
You can also try that with box-modeling.

Traveler
08-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Well the approach I was going for, I wouldn't actually be using the 3D model in the game, but exporting frames of animation as normal graphic files and then just sticking them together.

But i'm actually not sure if the same look as doing it the plain old way can be achieved using a 3D model .

what do you mean by "if the same look as doing it the plain old way can be achieved using a 3D model."?

I wonder if you can construct such small 3D models lol.

I'm not sure you understand the concept. Your model can be of any size. Its the actual resolution in which you render the model that matters. (Well, that and the distance from the model to the camera, actuallly)

Chesso
08-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Well I mean, the sprites I use in terms of pixels are less then 32x32, it would be odd trying to create a 3D model to match that size? unless it's easily scalable.

Actually, aside from the more complex stuff with 3D programs, if anyone can direct me to a tutorial on either DeleD or MilkShape3D that tells me how to use basic shapes (and handle the perspective views, sometimes I ended u pg getting very confused with that) and how I can apply textures.

I thought slapping on textures was as simple as telling it to ouput some image that basically tells me where it wants me to draw what and where so it can read it in and slap it on :P.

WILL
08-01-2007, 04:03 PM
Creating 3d models is not something you'll learn overnight.

Well... I dunno. When I was using 3ds max (5 I think it was...?) ..it came with a set of tutorials showing step-by-step directions on how to make these models and different things. That was sort of an overnight project.

But I can tell you this, there was a TON of things I didn't know how to do. And I'll agree with his actual point (sorry Alex ;)) which is that you cannot learn it ALL overnight. There is so much that gets involved in making high quality models playing with lighting and other effects, it's sick.

But there is a place where you can start, just don't expect to jump right in and be able to design a whole universe right away or you'll just get disappointed. Some things take time to learn... and it's good that way. ;)

EDIT: Just noticed NecroDOME's post. :P The tutorial that was posted there is basically how approached it when I started. (I have since discontinued playing with modeling as other priorities took me. :?)

jasonf
08-01-2007, 05:14 PM
I tinkered with 3D just enough to make me realise that I don't have what it takes to be a good modeller. I can make models - don't get me wrong, but when you look at what some people can do, it's humbling.

But then, most modellers can't code so HAH! :lol:

Seriously though, if you have to make models, do it as placement art. Otherwise, you get so completely blown away by the sheer effort required. I know I did... I must have made like 20 models for the 3D version of Guns.. only to find that I needed so many more :( plus code... plus level design... it adds up.

Best bet is commisssion a good 3D artist to do your artwork, you may even find it spurs you on to do an even better job because they've done such a good job.

for a 32x32 sprite, it's probably overkill... have you considered pencil & ink?

NecroDOME
08-01-2007, 10:32 PM
I started also with max 5, but I didn't learn it overnight... For a beginner its very hard to start modeling a face. A space ship would be much easier.

I stated 3D max to make some models for Insanity, then made some models for NecroSPACE and SCAG (Offtopic: Scag is still not finished, but today I improved some graphical effects :P )

Chesso
08-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Pencils and Ink? What are those lmao! :P

The last thing I ever drew was a stick figure or a failed attempt at some kind of motor vehicle :P

Drawing talent doesn't seem to help much with these little things, my misses can draw pretty darn good but it's so difficult just trying to explain the constraints that are necessary and this pixel by pixel drawing fries her brain (I'm actually better than her at it).

But yeah I still pretty much suck at it :lol:

NecroDOME
09-01-2007, 09:52 AM
You can also google for a picture :P