View Full Version : Realy weird OpenAL problem

chronozphere
01-12-2007, 08:44 PM
System: Windows Vista Ultimate
Compiler: Delphi 7
Libraries: OpenAL and DirectInput 8

Hey everyone. :)

I got this REALLY weird problem.

When i connect 2 joysticks to my PC and start my game, OpenAL starts acting weird. All sounds that are played, are looped (Repeated every 5 seconds). So when the game played several sounds, they become an ugly mix of repeating sound fragments. :mad:

This problem only occures on my desktop (which has vista), and not on my laptop (which has XP pro).

The problem only occurs when i connect 2 joysticks to my computer. These joysticks get enumerated by my own Input module, which is highly based on the Omegainput.pas unit (from the omega package). When my second joystick get's initialized, openAL starts acting like described above.

I allready tried a lot. A few days ago, i downloaded the latest audio drivers, so they should be OK.
I also tried some older openAL code (that i wrote a few weeks earlier), but it had the same problem. I reinstalled OpenAL, and i expirimented with some sound settings (Creative audio console). I also tested on my XP laptop (the problem didn't occur there).

I also noticed that this problem occurs when i put a breakpoint in my initialization code. The breakpoint stops the execution, i wait a few seconds, i hit F9 and when the game starts running, the same bloody OpenAL problem is there. :cry:

I've got a Creative SoundBlaster Audigy SE (if that matters) :?

Can someone help me on this? If you have ANY usefull tips or advice, please post!

Thanx a lot.

JernejL
02-12-2007, 01:30 PM
i'd blame that bug on vista or creative's incapable driver programmers.

You should update drivers immediately, and then try initializing openal with different sound driver.

chronozphere
02-12-2007, 05:10 PM
I guess you're right. I found out that when i select another device like "Generic hardware", the problem is gone. I have to figure out what kind of drivers i have on my system, but i'm sure that one of them is buggy :?

So a sollution for this problem is to select another Sound-Device. That brings me to my next question:
How can i enumerate OpenAL compatible Sound-Devices, and let the user select one??

Does anyone have any info on that? :razz:

Thanx a lot

JernejL
02-12-2007, 06:49 PM
I thought noeska's openal website had some enumeration examples.

I think these are always present on windows platform: 'MMSYSTEM', 'Generic Software' , 'DirectSound' , 'Generic Hardware' , 'DirectSound3D'

default mapping for those:
'Generic Hardware' -> 'DirectSound3D'
'Generic Software' -> 'DirectSound'

chronozphere
04-12-2007, 10:06 AM
ah found it!! :D

http://www.noeska.com/doal/lesson13.aspx

Thanx alot mate ;)