PDA

View Full Version : Who is interested in a printed copy of Pascal Gamer Magazine?

WILL
16-07-2009, 12:42 AM
Well I've finally finished the first issue just last week. And I've started up a second file to start work on the 2nd issue. I was thinking however, I asked around if people would be interested in having the option to get a printed copy of the magazine. From what I recall, there was some positive response.

What do you guys think? Would you order a physical copy of the magazine? What would you expect from the printed copy? Comments please...

Brainer
16-07-2009, 05:40 AM
The only thing I'd except is low price as I can imagine how expensive it is to send anything abroad.

NecroDOME
16-07-2009, 07:01 AM
I like the PDF format as it's useful to keep it somewhere between the rest of my ebooks.

jdarling
16-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Give it some time before you contemplate a printed version of the mag Will. The costs are high right now on a 4 color mag print and for the numbers you would have to order, you would definitely loose money.

pjpdev
16-07-2009, 04:18 PM
I think the PDF idea works better. It can be distributed all over the world and is easy to access. Although a printed version could find a place in my computer mag collection...

noeska
16-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Have a look at http://www.lulu.com that is print on demand, but costly: €13.37 for an issue.

WILL
16-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Well as it stands the printed copy of the magazine is just for those that really want to have the physical thing. And I'll admit sometimes having a PDF on your hard drive isn't the same as having a real life magazine in your hands, on your desk, etc.

The downside to doing a no-cost (purely cost to produce) setup for it right now, is that it'll go for about $18 US Dollars. That's with the full color printing (about 0.25 cents a page) using the binding for under 48 pages. Black and white pages would be less (about 0.02 cents a page) but you lose what makes Pascal Gamer look great.

Anyhow I'm looking at it, if people are interested I'll set it up, but if not then I'll shelve the idea until I have a series of issues and then maybe I'll make a yearly collection or something...

Brainer
17-07-2009, 06:59 AM
WILL, I can ask around here in Poland how costly it is to print such a mag. Maybe it'll be worth it. From what I can say, most things here are cheaper compared to the same stuff you can find in other European countries.

Wizard
17-07-2009, 07:58 AM
$18 US Dollars is too much for a magazine, I prefer the PDF version. The only way publishing houses can sell magazines for a reasonable amount is because of the volumes that they produce and I don't see that happining with the Pascal Gamer mag. Be that as it may, a printed copy would be nice.

WILL
17-07-2009, 11:26 AM
I agree, $18 is pretty steep. Especially since there is not a whole lot of content really. Well there is quite a bit of stuff in there, but not 18 dollars worth per say ;)

What kills the price at lulu.com is the color printing. It's ten times the price per sheet. The binding price is interesting too. It's $5.50 just for the small binding I chose. The rest are no better, but 5 bucks for binding? :/ That's expensive glue and staples. I don't know, the service is convenient, but I'm hoping for a better price from somewhere else. It does always leave open the possibility of generating a yearly set of issues in a nice format though.

Well if all else fails if you want a physical copy, you can always warm up your local printer and put in the Standard Letter sized paper and print it off. ;)

LP
18-07-2009, 04:01 PM
I'd actually get a printed copy, if there would be an option to get one. ;)

I rarely ever read PDFs without printing them as it is hard on the eyes and the time is always short.

dazappa
19-07-2009, 06:08 AM
I think I found a great service for you! :D

* magcloud.com (http://magcloud.com)
Highlights: $0.20 / color page, uploaded files are PDF, orders are handled through magcloud.com and are printed and shipped when ordered (means no buying 10 copies and shipping them yourself to others), you can set a markup above the base price and keep the extra.

So, a 48 page mag would be $10 with this service, and there doesn't seem to be any other cost.

Don't know how much you can customize it though (Like binding, gloss type). Still kind of pricey, but since the releases for this are so far apart I don't know that it would matter ;).

noeska
19-07-2009, 03:38 PM
hmm what about postage and shipping? Lulu charges extra for that.

dazappa
19-07-2009, 06:22 PM
hmm what about postage and shipping? Lulu charges extra for that.

I assume every service would charge shipping ;)