PDA

View Full Version : Fast Graphics library

asqarmands
09-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Im searching for some graphics library for very slow computers. Exsample, I have HP 995Mhz and want make 3d games. Have ideas?

Traveler
09-09-2009, 03:13 PM
What kind of graphics card are you using?

NecroDOME
09-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Try DirectX or OpenGL, they used it in the time when of 300MHz computers and back. (if that's what your looking for)

AthenaOfDelphi
09-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Try DirectX or OpenGL, they used it in the time when of 300MHz computers and back. (if that's what your looking for)

I was going to say something similar... it's not so much what you use, it's what you do with it that governs performance...

As NecroDOME says, OpenGL and DirectX should be fine, providing you don't put them under too much strain. HalfLife 2 running DirectX 8 (I think) on my old Athlon 800 with a GeForce FX5200 graphics card... it ran all right providing I didn't turn the resolution and detail up too much.

NecroDOME
10-09-2009, 07:13 AM
For example Deus Ex (first game): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_Ex
This game requires a 300MHz processor, can render fairly large maps and uses the Unreal Engine for that that is powered by DirectX.

So the limit is not the graphics lib, but how you use it (as AthenaOfDelphi said). It's more a point of how can I optimize my rendering so I can render only the things I need to see in a fast way.

It you want to render large out-door area's it's possible on a low-end machine, but you have to optimize a lot!