PDA

View Full Version : LinuxGD.net

pjpdev
16-09-2009, 05:49 PM
I've recently got my new site up and running, called LinuxGD.net. To put it straight, it's a community for Linux game developers. The site still needs a lot of work, but it's open for registrations.

Thanks to the power of Joomla the site has an awesome article system and forums have already been integrated. I'm planning on adding more community features like groups, etc., etc.

EDIT: Oh, and the logo needs a serious overhaul... 'twas a 5 minute quickie... :-[

So head on over - http://linuxgd.net. And feel free to make any suggestions.

Later ;)

paul_nicholls
17-09-2009, 01:34 AM
I think the '5 minute' logo is fine :)

cheers,
Paul

pjpdev
17-09-2009, 04:57 PM
I think the '5 minute' logo is fine :)

cheers,
Paul

It might only need a little polishing. But there's something missing... A Penguin :D

WILL
17-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Yup a Penguin could add to the theme of the site. ;)

More FPC/Lazarus/Mono-based development and 'distribution options' information for the Linux platforms would always be welcome, I'm sure. I know I'd find it rather useful once I get a release completed.

pjpdev
17-09-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm busy lining up a few articles to put up on the site, and added the penguin. But I'll have to wait a little while before updating... Seems like my server went down :(

EDIT: Server is back up again... :)

I actually want to do an article on distribution issues and how to solve them. If I get it done before the next release of Pascal Gamer you can use it if you're interested WILL.

Later ;)

WILL
17-09-2009, 11:00 PM
I actually want to do an article on distribution issues and how to solve them. If I get it done before the next release of Pascal Gamer you can use it if you're interested WILL.

Later ;)

Sure, perhaps write a little extra bit extra just for the mag? ;)

pjpdev
18-09-2009, 04:39 PM
Well I've got the penguin in the logo, and posted a 5 part article on Linux Game Development written by Troy Hepfner of My Game Company (http://www.mygamecompany.com), creators of Dirk Dashing. It's quite an interesting read.

Will keep you guys posted.

pjpdev
19-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Okay, LinuxGD.net now has PM support and a gallery has been implemented.

WILL
19-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Think I could get a tutorial on how to setup a linux game development station for Lazarus? I could add it detailed imagery to help magazine readers follow along with it?

Give me maybe a month or so and you can offer the article it's self on your site too if you don't want to just link to the magazine it's self. :)

I may even let you have a full or half page ad in the magazine too. ;)

pjpdev
19-09-2009, 10:42 PM
That would be an interesting tutorial, especially for Linux newcomers :nerd:. A half page ad will do the trick, but I'll have to spend some time on a few designs then... maybe a collage of Linux games or something like that.

Another article I'm planning is basically an intro to Linux game development using FPC and JEDI-SDL. Maybe it'll become a full blown series of articles. Currently I'm "spamming" game dev forums so that the site gets seen ::), well most of 'em have a place to do so anyway.

Later

cragwolf
19-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Another article I'm planning is basically an intro to Linux game development using FPC and JEDI-SDL.

Why is JEDI-SDL even needed? The current stable version of FPC includes headers for SDL (based off the JEDI-SDL project I think).

WILL
20-09-2009, 12:48 AM
That would be an interesting tutorial, especially for Linux newcomers :nerd:. A half page ad will do the trick, but I'll have to spend some time on a few designs then... maybe a collage of Linux games or something like that.

Just be sure to remember the web address. ;) (Oh you'd think it would be that obvious, but I've see it. lol

Another article I'm planning is basically an intro to Linux game development using FPC and JEDI-SDL. Maybe it'll become a full blown series of articles. Currently I'm "spamming" game dev forums so that the site gets seen ::), well most of 'em have a place to do so anyway.

Not bad, I'll look forward to reading those. :)

Another article I'm planning is basically an intro to Linux game development using FPC and JEDI-SDL.

Why is JEDI-SDL even needed? The current stable version of FPC includes headers for SDL (based off the JEDI-SDL project I think).

Are the FPC Team's SDL headers kept up to date often? Some people may opt for the JEDI-SDL headers instead if the FPC ones aren't kept as often as the others are.

I'd love to see some updated OpenGL headers myself... Somewhere I can actually find them too. :p

noeska
20-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Have you looked at the delphigl site for their opengl unit. Also you find a bare bones x windows example for opengl there.

pjpdev
20-09-2009, 09:58 AM

JEDI-SDL has some SDL features thats not included in the FPC release, like SDL_mixer, SDL_image, etc.

WILL
20-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Have you looked at the delphigl site for their opengl unit. Also you find a bare bones x windows example for opengl there.

Yes and I've found it a few times, but it's so hard to find there and I'm not sure if it's the updated 3.0 ones...

It would be nice to see 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 headers in a collection where I can pick and choose which ones suit my target hardware/system configuration, etc...

noeska
20-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Follow this link: http://wiki.delphigl.com/index.php/dglOpenGL.pas/en and you get the latest version. It is backwards compatible with older opengl versions.

pjpdev
20-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Follow this link: http://wiki.delphigl.com/index.php/dglOpenGL.pas/en and you get the latest version. It is backwards compatible with older opengl versions.

Thanks noeska. I'll have to add a link to this in LinuxGD.net

pjpdev
21-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Just got sponsored a new Joomla template for the site. I'll prolly have it up by the end of the night.

pjpdev
21-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Sweet... The new template is up. And it's looking really great :yes:. Go take a look - http://linuxgd.net

paul_nicholls
21-09-2009, 10:56 PM
Sweet... The new template is up. And it's looking really great :yes:. Go take a look - http://linuxgd.net

Looks very nice :)

PS. I was having a read of "Linux Game Development Part 1" and noticed one thing...the links are just plain text and not hyper-links.

Is there anyway to fix this?

cheers,
Paul

paul_nicholls
21-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Whoa! I just read "Linux Game Development Part 2" and I didn't realise just how complex it can be to get Linux programs up and running under multiple distros!!

Scary! ;)

cheers,
Paul

WILL
22-09-2009, 01:29 AM
I'm really interested in Ubuntu right now. Is this possible with Lazarus?

BTW the new site layout is rather quite nice. :)

pjpdev
22-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Looks very nice :)

PS. I was having a read of "Linux Game Development Part 1" and noticed one thing...the links are just plain text and not hyper-links.

cheers,
Paul

I'll have a look into it. :)

I'm really interested in Ubuntu right now. Is this possible with Lazarus?

BTW the new site layout is rather quite nice. :)

I use Lazarus with Ubuntu 9.04 and it works great.

pjpdev
22-09-2009, 07:50 PM

cheers,
Paul

Well I've fixed that issues. Let me know if I missed any.

Current Stats:
- Content View Hits: 261
- Users: 3 (one is the admin profile)

Mmmm... Anyone how I can get the site seen? ???

Later

paul_nicholls
22-09-2009, 08:40 PM

cheers,
Paul

Well I've fixed that issues. Let me know if I missed any.

Current Stats:
- Content View Hits: 261
- Users: 3 (one is the admin profile)

Later

Thanks for that :)

cheers,
Paul

WILL
23-09-2009, 01:46 AM

Have a small tab banner?

Add one of my banners (http://www.pascalgamer.com/advertising.php) and I'll add one of yours. ;)

cragwolf
23-09-2009, 04:56 AM
JEDI-SDL has some SDL features thats not included in the FPC release, like SDL_mixer, SDL_image, etc.

The latest stable version of FPC, v2.2.4, has headers for SDL, SDL_gfx, SDL_image, SDL_mixer, SDL_net & SDL_ttf. As to the question of whether these headers are being updated, looks like the last edit was around 12 months ago, and there have been about 6 or 7 edits (bug fixes, feature additions, compatibility changes) in the past couple of years. But yeah, it's true that JEDI-SDL has extra features, like a bunch of helper units and other stuff that game developers might find useful.

pjpdev
18-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Still a lot to do... Still a lot to do... And a total member count of - 6! *sigh* how can I boost interest in the site? ???

JSoftware
18-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Make it work? jk, but I can't access it, and I haven't been able for a few weeks

pjpdev
18-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Make it work? jk, but I can't access it, and I haven't been able for a few weeks

Strange... ???. I know an hour or so ago the server was down, but other than that I gain all the time to check up on progress.

I will have a look into it. Might be my DNS host.

paul_nicholls
18-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Still a lot to do... Still a lot to do... And a total member count of - 6! *sigh* how can I boost interest in the site? ???

;D make that 8 members! hehe

cheers,
Paul

noeska
18-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Err, when i sign up should i recieve an email with an activation link? Or i have an new record an instantly forgetting my new choosen password :-)

de_jean_7777
18-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Well, I've registered. That is a small improvement for your user base. I'll try to get some people I know interested into your site, but I can't promise anything.

A suggestion: Replace that joomla favicon with something more appropriate.

paul_nicholls
18-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Err, when i sign up should i recieve an email with an activation link? Or i have an new record an instantly forgetting my new choosen password :-)

I got a activation email just fine with my gmail account...

Hmm...my login session seems to expire mediately after I login too :(

EDIT: nevermind, my login works now...I must have screwed up the password :-[

cheers,
Paul

de_jean_7777
18-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Hmm...my login session seems to expire mediately after I login too :(

I had the same problem. I solved it by checking the Remember me checkbox on login.

pjpdev
19-10-2009, 04:12 PM

I've manually activated your account. You can give it a try now, and tell me if you encounter anymore problems.

noeska
19-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Your site or dns is down again or so it seems?

pjpdev
19-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Your site or dns is down again or so it seems?

Most likely DNS... I've tried to set up my own nameserver, but it's quite tricky. Will give it a whirl when I have the time and dump DNSPark.

noeska
19-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Did you turn of your own attempt at dns? Are the secondary dns updated correctly?

pjpdev
20-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Did you turn of your own attempt at dns? Are the secondary dns updated correctly?

The BIND daemon isn't running. My second DNS is set up correctly, but I'm using DNSPark's free DNS service. Thats where most of the problems come from.

WILL
22-11-2009, 10:38 AM

Well you could place a half page ad in Pascal Gamer Magazine? :)

Or write an article on Linux-based development using Pascal tools.... or BOTH! :)

pjpdev
22-11-2009, 11:30 AM
I think an article will work best, helping people get past those highly undocumented APIs and stuff. So it'll most likely go the SDL route. I'll start working on it right away.