PDA

View Full Version : What would YOU like to see?

BlueCat
05-08-2003, 10:06 AM
If you could have the perfect Delphi game dev site, what features would it have? You can be as creative as you like here, it doesn't have to be something you've seen on another site.

Maja
05-08-2003, 10:17 AM
I'd like to see slashdot style interviews where someone (yourself maybe) picks a top delphi developer and everyone else posts questions in a thread. Someone (yourself again maybe) chooses the top ten questions and fires them off to the developer to be answered.

Ohh and if i'm not to pickey, once a week..

I'd love to know is savage likes pepsi, dr. pepper, or milk (2% or 1%, cream maybe..)

[edit]
Ohh i forgot about XML/RSS News feeds...

tux
05-08-2003, 12:04 PM
a big opensource project for the regular visitors would be pretty cool 8)

and a full delphi converted dx sdk with the demos etc (mabey we can get the one stored at yahoo on the move again)

interviews with ppl like the HL2 team etc.

a catagory for gaming news in general, and one for delphi gaming news.

and mabey we can have a "submit your demo" or soemthing were, say i make a demo on how to use env maps in opengl, i put it there for everyone to dl :) things like that.

BlueCat
05-08-2003, 01:37 PM
We could have something similar to planetsourcecode.com (http://www.planetsourcecode.com/vb/default.asp?lngWId=7) with accompanying code explanations/mini-tutorials with screenshots (where relevant) and the ability to give each piece of code a rating. So if for example you'd read all about octrees and how to implement them but you couldn't quite work out how to port a tutorial to Delphi, you'd look in the source code section and see if someone else had already done it.

And another idea I had (we're talking long term though, not yet) is to write an app that's similar to MSN messenger ( :shock: :? ) that lets us chat to other community members 'live' which would also let us run classes/lectures in different subjects in real time. As we made new versions we could add lots of nice features to it to compliment the website.

I'm just full of ideas today, sometimes I almost scare myself :alien:

tux
05-08-2003, 01:42 PM
And another idea I had (we're talking long term though, not yet) is to write an app that's similar to MSN messenger ( :shock: :? ) that lets us chat to other community members 'live' which would also let us run classes/lectures in different subjects in real time. As we made new versions we could add lots of nice features to it to compliment the website.

that sounds good :)

now excuse me, im gunna run away coz my pc sounds like its about to blow up :) (processor running at 57oc :shock: )

WILL
05-08-2003, 04:06 PM
I always figured it'd be nice to have a Showcase or Spotlight(our version?) for some specially selected projects that are worthy of mention. We could do a "Spotlight of the Month" or something.

:idea: People can submit their projects to be selected for the spotlight and someone will actually go through them to see if it meets a criteria(not offensive and actually has something that can be downloaded and played or used by the time we present it, a beta would be ok I guess) and then we can get submitted screenshots of those projects and they can be put into a script with a small blurb about it and have a web link to the project's site. Obviously we'd be posting news about ALL projects we can find, but these are for exclusively ones that are done or near done(final beta, etc) or can be used for it's original intent when submitted. Kind of like an award type thing. It'll modivate people to finish their projects and others to start thier own.

WILL
05-08-2003, 04:20 PM
I just had a few other thoughts with reguards to general content.

cairnswm wrote something the other day reguarding linking to other tutorials on Alimonster's and Traveler's sites, etc... This got me thinking about how we are going to post/present the tutorials.

Well, like GameDev's concept we should have tutorials posted on the main page along with news(a no brainer) and other articals and maybe my spotlight idea? ;) and we would also have a tutorial section that can link to these tutorial pages in some way. Maybe if we make a dataase of tutorial authors and let people search through tuts and authors they'd be able to find links to their tutorials on those pages. Hmm... the tutoials database would be just URL links anyways right? LOL :lol: Sorry non-web developers, I'm getting too technical aren't I? But I think that most get my idea. We of course doing this, will allow authors to host tutorials on other sites(though we may need to have someone clean out broken links to closed sites after a while).

All articals/interviews/reviews should be local though, since this is direct content from us.

Well thats my $3.14. ;)

05-08-2003, 05:01 PM
An image of the day/week could be greatly appreciated :)

And we could organize small contests (but no prizes for the beginning :P)

The interview concept could be great ... But, there aren't lots of professional team which makes video games with delphi (the team of Age of Wonders ?). We could try to interview some other people for *general culture* lol. (If we must interview AndrAc Lamothe I want to be the reporter ^^)

Maja
05-08-2003, 05:10 PM
The interview concept could be great ... But, there aren't lots of professional team which makes video games with delphi (the team of Age of Wonders ?). We could try to interview some other people for *general culture* lol. (If we must interview AndrAc Lamothe I want to be the reporter ^^)

Yeah I thought about the fact that there isn't a great deal of professional game developers writing with Delphi but just like you I got the *general culture* idea.. Games take all kinds of people, from PR, Testers, Tool programmers, etc..

Just because said developer doesn't write games, doesn't mean his knowledge doesn't pertain to them. For an example, I'd love to get an interview with someone from the Indy team about using Indy for game network connections, etc, etc..

I'm sorry for not posting my thoughts before, but I've been up for quite a long time and thanks to my Dr. Pepper i'm still going! ;)

Eriken
05-08-2003, 06:42 PM
And another idea I had (we're talking long term though, not yet) is to write an app that's similar to MSN messenger ( icon_eek.gif icon_confused.gif ) that lets us chat to other community members 'live' which would also let us run classes/lectures in different subjects in real time. As we made new versions we could add lots of nice features to it to compliment the website.

You mean, something in web-language like some weird chat, or something more like NetMeeting or Webcast-stuff?

Would actually be cool to make something like that in Delphi, maybe an idea for a project, that one.
_____
Eriken

WILL
05-08-2003, 07:00 PM
BlueCat's idea: Hmm... DelphiDeveloperChat... has specific features for sharing code in real time...

WILL
05-08-2003, 07:30 PM
Eriken asked the following in the Articals, etc thread

Speaking about Tutorials and Articles... The idea came up to have some scouts around to look for articles/tutorials elsewhere and check if we can use them, because I think there is enough to do without actually having to reinvent the wheel everytime..

There is probably also Delphi-sites in German, Dutch, etc which have great articles.. and if we get a permission from the owners to translate them to English those would be quite an asset too.

Well, it was an idea atleast..

(And now I've stepped right into Will's big question so now I'll get shot ;))

Well I didn't shoot him, but he has some rather good ideas here. ;) I can't recall in the past how many French, German or other type tutorials on DelphiX or other things that I've wanted to read in the past, but just don't know the language. And there ARE some really good tutorials out there.

Problem is though that simply linking to another site and not hosting a copy on our own server might mean having to remove it at any point in time because the author lost the site and it was abandoned... Also we don't want to just plop a whole handfull of posted tutorials on the front page(covering the ones specifically written for the new site) so we'd either have to add them to the tutorials section of the site, but not have them featured on the front page(we can announce the addition them on the tutorials page instead?). Ah... details to be worked out durring the meeting, i guess.

Very workable idea however...

05-08-2003, 07:57 PM
Hmmm some basic tuts aren't that hard to remake ... I mean the basis of delphiX i.e. is rather simple to describe in a tut ... and it wouldn't bother me to rewrite these tuts i've already written plenties of times ^^.

A good advantage of this is that if we want to create a serie of tuts about DelphiX (with a goal like building a small space shooter or anything like that) we could have some continuity between the different articles .

WILL
13-08-2003, 06:58 AM
I know, A break in the lull thats going on! :) LOL, I guess everyone is busy with work or school, family(quite a few family guys here aren't there?), etc...

I dunno, maybe I'm just currious as to why all quite all of a sudden. We had a good momentum going for a while then the weekend, then dead... :)

Anyhow... thought I try to grab someones attention. So if you are just visiting and reading post already. :)

cairnswm
13-08-2003, 09:19 AM
My quietness is me trying to work out how everything we did is going to affect the things we currently have.

I'm not sure I have an idea of whats expected from me next......

Also this W32.Blaster worm has wreaked havok at work.

Septimus
22-08-2003, 09:41 AM
Tutorials are a great idea to have on any delphi site. However, all the talk that I've seen about them have been about DelphiX and OpenGL and all of the other add-ons and advanced components. This is great for people who have advanced to that point, but for the rest of us (who struggle just getting through the basic components that come standard with delphi), it's all pretty pointless.

My suggestion is explaining the pros/cons general uses and how tos for those components and functions. I've only found 2 or 3 sites that do this, while every site has tutuorials on the more advanced aspects of programming in delphi.

I don't think it would be too difficult for most of you to knock up a few paragraphs on StringGrids or explain what the Length() function is best used for.

I know the delphi help does most of this, but usually it's not very helpful unless you've already grasped the advanced convepts. I'd be nice if someone would explain things like a high school teacher instead of some sort of robot.

Anyway, that's just my suggestion.