PDA

View Full Version : Smilies

AthenaOfDelphi
03-10-2010, 12:00 PM
As the majority of the smilies weren't working, I've fixed them up using the ones we were using with SMF.

I know there has been some debate about whether they are OK or not, so I've posted a poll here. If you're saying use another set, please post a link to your suggested set as well as vote.

WILL and I can then at least have something to work with as far as possible options are concerned.

de_jean_7777
03-10-2010, 12:42 PM
I think the SMF ones are good enough. They look decent, and their meaning is clear.

chronozphere
03-10-2010, 04:29 PM
I like most kinds of smileys, but not the current ones. So I suggest we use the SMF smileys. They are small so they don't disrupt the text too much. Also, their meaning is very clear. :)

AthenaOfDelphi
03-10-2010, 04:36 PM
For clarity... the ones the system is now setup to use are the ones we were using with SMF, so when I say 'Use the existing ones' it's these I'm talking about.

chronozphere
03-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Oh my bad. Didn't actually notice that we allready switched back to the SMF smileys. This is what I meant:

The previous smileys from vBulletin were quite bad. The SMF and phpBB smileys are much nicer. I'm allright with the current ones, allthough the phpBB smileys are a bit smaller, so they don't disrupt the text. :)

User137
03-10-2010, 05:45 PM
I don't really know sets by name, from what i can find with google images:
http://screenshots.en.softonic.com/en/scrn/27000/27925/3_smileys.jpg
That kind of set would get a perfect 10+ from me. All different poses are clear and non-animated.

AthenaOfDelphi
03-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Unfortunately, I'm not sure that the set you've suggested is free. I can't seem to find it on the Softonic.com website. If you can find it there and it's free, then it can go into the pot :)

WILL
03-10-2010, 10:48 PM
I was considering putting up the old phpBB smilies since the SMF catalog of happy, sad and other weird faces seemed to lack the many different ones we had back in the old PGD 1.0. My only issue with that is that I have to find an old archive of it somewhere in my dusty covered spools of discs all stashed away. But that's just a matter of not being lazy and getting them out. ;)

Does anyone miss the old PGD 1.0 smilies? Remember the ones from DGDev too the cat, lion, batman, cylon, spiderman, bullet arrows, etc? They aren't as detailed as these SMF ones, but there were more to choose from.

paul_nicholls
03-10-2010, 11:11 PM
I guess the PGD 1.0 smilies were good too with the varied ones :)

cheers,
Paul

User137
04-10-2010, 08:27 AM
Does anyone miss the old PGD 1.0 smilies? Remember the ones from DGDev too the cat, lion, batman, cylon, spiderman, bullet arrows, etc? They aren't as detailed as these SMF ones, but there were more to choose from.

Speaking of which, we still don't have option to choose when writing the message :p

WILL
04-10-2010, 12:50 PM
You have to hit 'Go Advanced' to see them and if you want to see all of them, you have to hit the 'More' option below to pick from the list.

paul_nicholls
04-10-2010, 07:37 PM
You have to hit 'Go Advanced' to see them and if you want to see all of them, you have to hit the 'More' option below to pick from the list.

Is there any way of making advanced as default instead of us clicking 'advanced' button or Alt-X?

cheers,
Paul

WILL
04-10-2010, 11:02 PM
If there was a way to have both, I'd tweak it so that it could, however I wouldn't want to eliminate the quick reply option all together as loading a whole new page takes time, bandwidth unnecessarily if all you want to say is "Nice job! ;)"

That said, I'll have a look for the option and see if it's possible to have both.

paul_nicholls
04-10-2010, 11:11 PM
If there was a way to have both, I'd tweak it so that it could, however I wouldn't want to eliminate the quick reply option all together as loading a whole new page takes time, bandwidth unnecessarily if all you want to say is "Nice job! ;)"

Very good point WILL :)

That said, I'll have a look for the option and see if it's possible to have both.

cheers,
Paul

NecroDOME
05-10-2010, 08:08 PM
I didn't vote. I'm actually for once neutral on this!!