PDA

View Full Version : DelphiX and DirectX 5

Wiering
04-10-2003, 12:11 PM
Hello, would it be possible to use DelphiX (UnDelphiX actually) with DirectX 5 (or even 3 so it would work in NT as well)? Has anyone done that and what do you need to change?

The reason I'm asking is that some of my customers use Windows 95 and have no Internet connection or perhaps a dial-up connection. They often have only DirectX 5 installed and can't (easily) upgrade. If they get my game via a magazine cdrom, it will probably contain DirectX 9, which won't work with Windows 95.

Besides, as I understand, there is no benefit in using DirectX 6 above 5 or 3 for 2D games (except if you are using a joystick with force feedback, which I am not). So it really makes no sence to require DirectX 6 for my game (Charlie II (http://www.wieringsoftware.nl/ch2/)).

Clootie
04-10-2003, 07:16 PM
*) Original DelphiX was developed for DirectX5. IIRC UnDelphiX is DirectX7/Delphi6 adaptation, so you better stick with original DelphiX for your needs.
*) DirectX 8.0 is the latest version available for Win95.
*) As for different versions of DirectDraw - you are right where is not much difference between DX5-DX7.

Wiering
05-10-2003, 12:58 PM
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. I had been looking for older versions at Hori's page, but now found them at the Turbo site.