PDA

View Full Version : Do you want to make a game for the iPad?

WILL
08-04-2011, 05:40 AM
Just how much would you want to get a game out on the iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch? Is it a matter of knowing how to do the technical stuff, getting a Mac or the costs of the developer program?

If so what would motivate you to make a game for the iOS platform?

paul_nicholls
08-04-2011, 06:15 AM
I voted for:

I'd make one, but the developer program fee stops me.
I'd make one, but I don't own a Mac.

The second one stops me the most of course.

If I HAD a Mac I COULD try doing Mac programming and not spend the $99 fee, just not upload to a device, or jailbreak my iPad/iPhone, etc. :D

cheers,
Paul

chronozphere
08-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Same for me actually. :)

It would be really nice if we had an engine/platform that could be used on windows/linux and mac (including the iphone/ipad). SDL 1.3 will probably make this dream come true, but it's not there yet. ZenGL supports Mac now, but how about IPhone and IPad? It still needs to use the touch-screen API to make it really usable.

Traveler
08-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Same here. I'd definitely try and make one. I don't really care about making some cash out of it, the experience alone would make it worthwhile. I'm eagerly waiting for Andru to work his magic with zengl. :)

code_glitch
08-04-2011, 11:32 AM
In my case I voted Never thought about it too much, developer fee and I don't own a mac... Aside from that there is andru with zengl which is a lot of groundwork for me to port all my code over no problems at all, so there really aren't too many technical limitations - its all financial really.

Andru
08-04-2011, 12:10 PM
for me to port all my code over no problems at all
SDL can provide you only initialization of OpenGL ES(or am I wrong?), but what will you do with other stuff like rendering sprites and so on? All this must be rewritten(if you want hardware acceleration of course) :)

SDL 1.3 will probably make this dream come true, but it's not there yet.
Hedgewars have already used SDL 1.3 on iOS, so...

but how about IPhone and IPad? It still needs to use the touch-screen API to make it really usable.
I hope I will work on input system this weekend :)

And as others - I have only financial limitation... in Ukraine iPad 2 costs $1100-1500, and this is a madness, because real cost is $499 in USA... Also I need a real Mac for legal developing, and it costs the same price over $1000. Anyway, for now I do all programming stuff only with Virtual Box(and test on real devices, which are not mine), but this is illegal :(

Stoney
08-04-2011, 03:19 PM
I'll definitely make more games for iOS devices. I don't have an iPad yet, but I just renewed my iOS developer account. What I don't like about the developer program is how complicated and time-consuming some things are, espacially with code-signing and the provision profiling portal. It's much easier when compared to other developer programs such as Google Web Store or Android development.

At the moment SDL 1.3 with Pascal seems the most viable option for as I can't get Objective-Pascal to work and using Pascal code as a static library in C code (as shown by the FPC iOS template) is not my personal favorite.

SDL can provide you only initialization of OpenGL ES(or am I wrong?)

You are a bit wrong unfortunately. You have hardware acceleration on iOS with SDL 1.3 without having to use OpenGL, I'm not 100% sure which backend is used but I'm guessing CoreGraphics.

Ingemar
09-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Why is the forum eating my replies???

I have been stopped by Apple's stupid rules. I tried to sign up as iPhone developer long ago, but they demanded me to fax documentation about my company. Fax, what is that? I tried E-mailing the document, they wouldn't accept it. Never told me why. I don't know what they tried to prove.