PDA

View Full Version : Desperate Defense

cairnswm
25-11-2003, 07:40 PM
I've got a bit of a problem with this game. It just doesn't seem to have worked very well. There is no link to it yet from my web site but I've loaded the exe onto the site

http://www.cairnsgames.co.za/defense/defense.zip

I'd love some feedback on how to make the game more fun.

My current ideas:
1. Better collision detection - this would probably require a change to the core DelphiX sprite engine code.
2. Add different types of enemies like a barbarian king.
3. Let enemy hit the archers on their head when they reach them (would not have any impact on the game play though).
4. Add civilians that you may not shoot - possibly change the game end condition to include the civilians killed.

I know that the addition of sound would improve things as well. I do this last.

Alimonster
25-11-2003, 09:07 PM
Not bad. However, I think that the arrow's movement is pretty unnatural -- sometimes the arrows faced directly forwards but moved directly sideways(!). I also had one occasion where I managed to trap an arrow in the bottom left of the screen, where it had an epileptic fit.

But not bad. Please add sound. ;) I think that maybe a countdown of the baddies left would be better (as in 10-9-8... rather than 0-1-2-3...) so it's easier to keep track of how many "lives" you have left.

cairnswm
26-11-2003, 05:50 AM
So are you sayingh the game works the way it is? My feeling was that it just didn't seem to fit together very well.

1. Better collision detection - this would probably require a change to the core DelphiX sprite engine code.
2. Add different types of enemies like a barbarian king.
3. Let enemy hit the archers on their head when they reach them (would not have any impact on the game play though).
4. Add civilians that you may not shoot - possibly change the game end condition to include the civilians killed.
5. Fix arrow direction
6. Change live scoring system
7. Slow down shooting rate of the archers. So that a delay comes in when they have to reload - this means you cant just click everywhere and there is always someone ready to shoot but rather you'd have to actually target a specific enemy.

WILL
26-11-2003, 02:17 PM
Neat game! :)

I think it works quite well, but of course I have some ideas for gameplay improvement/enhancement.

1) Allow custom configuration of keys/mouse buttons for each archer's firing "trigger".
2) Maybe slow down the arrow's speed so that you have to depend on timming of shot arrows aswell.
3) Perhaps a set of "panic arrows" that explode taking out a whole group of enemy attackers with limited use(possibly earned through higher scoring)? Hold down a key while firing, etc...

Hmm... perhaps with a "larger" field for the enemy to cross, you'll have a better Reaction Time : Planning Time ratio.

Very cool concept for a clone game. :)

cairnswm
27-11-2003, 05:48 AM
Notice all my games are now 'clone' games :) They are easy to do and make great fun as a programming exercise.

My next idea is a minor clone of Pacman - but very different look and feel.