PDA

View Full Version : Delphi running in Wine/WineX, etc

WILL
01-12-2003, 07:07 AM
I'm not sure if this fits in here or not, but it seems more appropriate in a Linux topic than a general topic thread.

Has anyone tried installing and running Delphi in wine/winex under linux? If there is a better alternative then please can someone let me know. Next year I plan on fully migrating my laptop to Linux(Suse 9).

So far I have run into only this article (http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=3423&page=2) with Google. It clearly states a problem with Delphi 7, but nothing of Delphi 5 or anything about what comes with Suse 9. It is discussing Suse 8.2 in case you don't catch it first thing.

Any and all help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Useless Hacker
01-12-2003, 07:57 AM
What's wrong with using Kylix?

WILL
02-12-2003, 02:44 AM
Nothing wrong with using Kylix, unless you have already made a Windows game with DirectX support. A bit easier to develop cross platform apps/games when you have both Linux and Windows to compile for too.

lucky
07-12-2003, 04:30 AM
Just attempt it!

Heh

luck

noeska
07-12-2003, 10:30 AM
if you want to go cross-platform it is best to avoid directx and go for opengl and openal and sdl. Then you can make your program for windows, linux and even mac-osx. All using the object pascal language.

Linux with kylix
Windows with delphi
Mac-osx with gnu-pascal

WILL
07-12-2003, 09:07 PM
Well that is my goal. I plan on switching to all the cross-platform libraries out there. But what I want to do is be able to compile Windows binaries in my Linux enviroment. Making a dual-boot system(Linux on one parition, well 2, and Windows on the other) will take up way too much space on my 18 Gig laptop drive. And I hear that making a shell is not more friendly on space.

However with Wine this offers me a solution without having a second system to install all of the Windows crap on(which is not an option, please don't suggest it).

I just want to know, who as tried this and does it work???

I am currently running Windows XP and do not have the resources to backup all of my things to do a fresh install. When I go back home(back to Toronto), I can save all my files on a file server in my network, but I'd like to find out now so I can decide what things I can and cannot do.

Useless Hacker
07-12-2003, 10:17 PM
FreePascal can cross-compile (that is, compile code on one platform for a different platform).

WILL
08-12-2003, 12:38 AM
Hmm... well that is interesting. Maybe useful. If I had a Delphi/Kylix made program with GUI, could I compile that with Free Pascal? I doubt it, but who knows.