PDA

View Full Version : Ludum Dare 48-Hour Gamedev Contest

cairnswm
24-03-2004, 07:09 AM
Direct from www.GameDev.net

Ludum Dare 48-Hour Gamedev Contest
Posted by: Hamumu (mailto:jamul@hamumu.com) at 18:19
That's right, a year later, Ludum Dare (http://www.ludumdare.com/)is finally having another 48-hour contest. It begins on April 16th, but you should sign up earlier so you can submit theme ideas and vote on what the theme ends up being! Learn more about it and get signed up over at their website.

cairnswm
31-03-2004, 05:15 AM
Why havn't I seen anyone else signup for the Contest! Come on guys this is a cool challenge and we need to proove to everyone that Delphi can compete in these contests.

Remember a Delphi game won last years www.remakes.org retro game contest. Lets make sure a Delphi Game wins this 48 hour coding contest.

If you think 48 hours isnt enough to do a real game in, you can even do it using the windows GDI! How long would it take to rewite mindsweeper?!?!? I'm sure most of us could do it in 48 hours if we tried!

TheLion
31-03-2004, 10:17 AM
It's not really my type of gaming contest... I'm planning on competing in a few others tho in the coming year, therefor I hope the Retro Remakes competition will be held again this year! :)

WILL
31-03-2004, 10:22 AM
Man, I'd love to do one of those... sadly. I take on way too much. :cry:

I'll just end up like scotty and "canna holder tagether". Someone should enter though I agree.

cairnswm
31-03-2004, 10:31 AM
I'm going to be entering. I have already put in a days leave for the monday to allow me to recover :)

I find that 20 hours is enough to get a game together. I often forget about projects after 20 hours as I have already prooved to myself that I can do it.

Biggest problem with this contest is that you have to do all the images yourself as well. Not there I'll have a problem :( I really need to find a program that will automatically do human shapes in different poses (seems that Poser 5 will do it - but $166 minimum).

cairnswm
31-03-2004, 10:33 AM
Please would anyone that finds out about programming contest post on the board about them. I find that contests are the most powerful way of getting my programming motivation up. Unfortunatly there seem to be very few contests that we can actually use Delphi in.

TheLion
31-03-2004, 10:44 AM
I really need to find a program that will automatically do human shapes in different poses (seems that Poser 5 will do it - but $166 minimum).

I think Poser5 has a trial version, not too sure, but you could do some things with a trial! ;) Of course there are also other ways to get Poser :)

WILL
31-03-2004, 08:11 PM
Perhaps savage can help here. I'll send his a link to this thread.

HopeDagger
31-03-2004, 11:29 PM
I intend on entering, although I'm not sure if I'm going to use Delphi or not. Delphi is one of the languages I'm best with, but another might be better suited depending on what theme the contest will be.

I look forward to seeing your entry. :)

cairnswm
01-04-2004, 05:15 AM
I hope you do do yours in Delphi as I would really like to see more Delphi Games being developed.

savage
01-04-2004, 12:05 PM
There defintely is a need for more Commercial games in Delphi/Pascal.
What is also needed is more Pascal specific contests.

Maybe when DelphiGamer.com and DGDev merge we might have one. It still needs to be discussed and prizes saught etc.

cairnswm
01-04-2004, 12:55 PM
As long as 'staff' can enter too :)

wilbur989
01-04-2004, 03:49 PM
I sure if you talk with borland they would be glad to help in the prize arena. But I could be wrong ;-)

cairnswm
04-04-2004, 06:21 PM
Just to let you all know I have started my own Blog (http://www.cairnsgames.co.za/index.asp?inc=blog) for the contest.

cairnswm
16-04-2004, 06:58 PM
Starting Soon

My entry information is at: http://www.cairnsgames.co.za/blog/ld48.asp

Traveler
18-04-2004, 10:46 AM
Interesting concept! Keep us posted!

cairnswm
19-04-2004, 01:07 AM
All done and finished. Testing showed that my origianl scale was all wrong and dint make interesting game play so I made everything smaller. Int he end I didn;t need the sontrol panel at the bottom and probably would have been better without it and also without scrolling but too late.

Final version with source, blog and final screen shots all on the site at the link above.

My goal: top 50%

PS. On the sunday of the tournament I had a Magic the Gathering tournament - A regionals event to qualify for Nationals in July - I came 8th which qualified me :)

wisebede
19-04-2004, 04:22 PM
Yep, I've entered too and am quietly pleased with my entry of Zombie Death. The Delphi logo is proudly displayed on the title screen. Go and play it, its fun for a couple of minutes.

http://retrospec.sgn.net/users/matts/ludumdare/zombiedeath.zip

Matt.