View Full Version : Road War
26-04-2003, 05:25 PM
I'm working on a shot-em-up with cars called Road War. It uses PowerDraw for graphics and input and Fmod for sound. You'll need DirectX9 for it to run.
Get it here: Look for a link below(3MB!)
Feedback very welcome.
27-04-2003, 08:07 PM
My initial reaction was that the game is very well presented! Good job. The game ran smooth as silk -- my only suggestion would be to spice up the "your car has been destroyed" screen since I spent a fair amount of time looking it at ;).
So what things do you plan to add to it now?
28-04-2003, 11:38 AM
Running smoothly on Athlon 2,4 GHz? It really shouldn?¢_Tt need a monster CPU to run smoothly, just a good video card if additional alpha effects are turned on.
Planning to add now:
Spicing up the "your car has been destroyed" screen
Adding Water animation
Adding X axis scrolling
Improving very dumb AI
Planning to add in the future:
Making a decent AI
Getting someone who can draw to draw some decent trees
Making more car types, weapons(mines, oil), levels, level tiles.
My exams are coming up so this game probably won?¢_Tt be updated for a while.
17-06-2003, 07:58 PM
I've updated Road war to V0.3.4:
*New weapon - mine;
*New mine placing car;
*Some Ai improvements;
*Water shimmer effect;
*Bug fixes for: incorrect drowning car depth sort, weird explosion movement, fullscreen hang;
*A lot of small reworks.
Kindly hosted by Bobby:
08-10-2004, 09:01 PM
Seems that Bobby isn't that kind anymore :lol:
Link is dead...
08-10-2004, 09:26 PM
Can't expect people to waist their space forever
09-10-2004, 11:02 AM
Really nice effort sofar!
A couple things I noticed while playing:
- I find the cars horizontal movement to be very unrealistic. It moves way too fast imo.
- While trying to get into a repair vehicle I was hit by a upcoming car and got 'shot' through the repair vehicle. Perhaps a bit tricky to reproduce but it looked very odd.
- All the way at the end the road suddenly ended and I bumped against an invisible wall. I then realized there was a tank standing there, but because the car moved so quickely from left to
right I killed myself against the border. Perhaps its an option to make the transition from normal road to the part where the boss is a bit more clear, like a change in music or different surroundings or a billboard saying boss ahead or something like that.
- Driving against the border is almost instant death now. Perhaps its possible to make the damage to the car less high, so you actually have a change to get back to the road.
- It has been mentioned before, but I too agree, the explosions are a bit strange now. You could spice it up with different colors, smoke, car parts, and of course, at the end there should be a carwreck laying there.
- I dont recieve damage for bumping another car or so it seems
- cars seem to run onto the grass a lot for no apparent reason. Especially when the road has split in two.
- more of a cosmetic thing; the surrounding appears a bit dull. Perhaps you can add a more items along the road. Signs, animals, different kinds of ground foilage etc.
Overall a very good start! Keep us posted!
09-10-2004, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the ideas and bug report, but the project has been dead for more than a year now, because I lost this things source code in a hard drive crash.
is this game alive now? i played demo a lot, and i think this game is great.
Sorry to hear that Paulius. I've lost quite a bit of code to the evil gremlins that live inside unsuspecting programmers' harddrives, just waiting to strike. :x
Any new projects on the old stone wheel? :)
31-10-2004, 03:31 PM
is this game alive now?
No. Dead. Perennially.
Any new projects on the old stone wheel?
Yes, at the moment I am trying to squeeze something pretty out of textmode, but cant seem to get any free time to work on it.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.