Thread: Classic Game Postmortem: Another World/Out of this World

Blog Entries

Classic Game Postmortem: Another World/Out of this World

Eric Chahi has done interviews and written in the past about his extremely popular groundbreaking 1990 game 'Another World'. A title which has stood the test of time and is still very entertaining to play today. Another World was updated in HD not too long ago in a Collector's Edition back in 2006. You can check out this new version here.

Just this last GDC in 2011, Eric Chahi was invited to do a Postmortem about Another World. In this video/slideshow you get to see Eric talking about all the fine details of his game. Check out this great resource here from the GDC Vault: www.gdcvault.com.

NOTE: Watch until the end for a really good surprise!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Nice! I am definitely going to look at this Thanks Jason...

cheers,
    Paul

Yes highly interesting video for learning how he managed to create a polygon based game at a time when almost everything was bitmaps.
    ZGameEditor - Develop 64kb games for Windows.
    Thrust for Vectrex - ROM-file and 6809 source code.

I just finished watching the video - very informative and interesting!

Blog Entries
    I believe that this was also one of the first cinematic action games too. A lot of games sort of spawned off this new genre; Flashback (same publishers) and Odd World (series) to name a couple.

I got my hands on this game first as an SNES game then I went and found it for DOS. Would love to play it on my Mac, but don't think it's been ported yet. I'm happy it's coming to my iPad though!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder