Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SDL

SDL

Hi all,
    I'm interested in SDL developing on Delphi/Kylix.
    Anyone use SDL?
    Any tip?
    Any good site?
    Thanks...

RE : SDL

If you have a look at http://www.DelphiGamer.com I occasionally post news about people who are usin it for game development.

The official site is http://www.libsdl.org, they also have a mailing list, but it mainly C/C++ people who post on there.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

SDL

I've just started using SDL and it's excellent. I 'ported' my game engine to it in just an hour, it was using a TPanel, TTimer, TThis, TThat, now not one VCL component in sight, not even a TObject :lol: :lol:

SDL

Glad to hear you have found it usefull.

Any chance of seeing a demo on Windows or Linux?
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

SDL

Quote Originally Posted by savage

Yes, I'm planning on using SDL from now to develop my game and I'll upload a new demo in a couple of days to the usual address (the url for dgdev without the dgdev bit ).

I've had trouble with window resizing. Unfortunately my engine uses lots of display lists. I use SDL_SetVideoMode to resize the window (or switch to fullscreen) but in the process the OpenGL context is destroyed and a new one created. The problem is, this also destroys my display lists (which reside in an octree). It takes 20 seconds or so on my 1.2GHz machine to recreate the display lists, much longer on slower machines.

Does anyone know how I can change video modes without destroying the OpenGL context? I know that might be impossible, so if not any other tricks? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

SDL

Also, I want to set up a timer.

Can anyone give me some example code showing SDL_AddTimer with a callback function? That would help sooo much.

SDL

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCat
    Also, I want to set up a timer.

Can anyone give me some example code showing SDL_AddTimer with a callback function? That would help sooo much.
    The SMpegPlayer.dpr demo shows you how to set up and use SDL_AddTimer.
    The documentation ( sdladdtimer.html ) also has some additional info on SDL_AddTimer.

I hope this helps.

SDL

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCat
    Quote Originally Posted by savage

Yes, I'm planning on using SDL from now to develop my game and I'll upload a new demo in a couple of days to the usual address (the url for dgdev without the dgdev bit ).

I've had trouble with window resizing. Unfortunately my engine uses lots of display lists. I use SDL_SetVideoMode to resize the window (or switch to fullscreen) but in the process the OpenGL context is destroyed and a new one created. The problem is, this also destroys my display lists (which reside in an octree). It takes 20 seconds or so on my 1.2GHz machine to recreate the display lists, much longer on slower machines.

Does anyone know how I can change video modes without destroying the OpenGL context? I know that might be impossible, so if not any other tricks? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    I will find out if there are any tricks that could speed this process up.

SDL

Thanks!

Could you give me a link for the mpeg demo? Not being lazy just can't seem to find it (it's been a long day :? )

Cheers

SDL

[quote="BlueCat"]Thanks!

Could you give me a ]

It should be part of the JEDI-SDL distribution under...
    JEDI-SDL\smpeg\demos\SMpegPlayer\

If not, I can send it to you or you can grab it from the JEDI-SDL CVS on sourceforge @
    http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=43805
    where all the latest cutting edge code can be found.

PS. I recenly uploaded to the CVS a demo that uses OpenGL, SDL, and ODE ( http://www.q12.org/ode/ ). It's not perfect yet but it is a start for anyone who is interested in using a free 3rd party physics engine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast