Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
There's been a discussion before, on how to deal withtimebased movement . I think you might find it an interesting read.
Yes, thanks for that. I've managed to understand and implement this technique, but I've now realised where the "jerking" is coming from.

If I just move my player around like this it's very smooth indeed, the problem comes when I need to have my player *stop* exactly on each tile.

Say my tiles are 32x32 pixels. I want my player to move from say tile 1,1 to tile 5,1 (across -right). I use this frame rate independant movement to achieve, say 128 pixels per second.

As each frame of the game happens, he might move 2.6 pixels , then 2.7, then maybe 2.4 etc as he slides *smoothly* across. This is all very well and looks great.

However, I need the player to reach each tile *exactly*. So what I've been doing is effectively snapping him to each tile as he travels across. This "adjusting" effects the overall smooth moving, causing the jerky.

So I'm a little confused on how to fix this. It's difficult explaining what I mean, but hopefully you understood the gist of what I'm getting at.

I need the player to move *onto* each tile exactly as he travels.

My head hurts. :-)