As for the current AJAX chat box I think that to litlle pepole even know about it. Why? Whenever I'm online in chat I see that just a few different pepole ever tries finding sombody online there.
Also as I have been writing already in some posts before I found solution for constant loguts from chat. All you have to do is that when you login to PGD comunity site you check the Rembember me Checkbox. This creates permament sesion so you don't get automaticly loged out from the PGD comunity site. And since AJAX chat uses the same sesion this means that you can also be premamently loged into the chat. Offcourse if you want you can still log out from the chat itself with the logut button and still remain loged int to PGD comunity site.
About a weak ago I managed to be online for more than 14 hours without any interuptions by using this means.

So if you want this chat system to be trully tested put a permament link on the fron site and do post instructions of how should pepole login so that they won't be suffering off automatic logouts. This is the only way we can get more pepole using it.