View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a live chat system on PGD?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

3 14.29%
  • Yes

18 85.71%

Thread: AJAX Chatbox for Pascal developers?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    Naturally I'd like to see it but I lack the history to state if I believe it would be extensively used or not. I'd certainly be keeping a session open, chatting or answering questions but with that said, I shall have to play devils advocate with my opinion :

A real-time chat, if utialized by people to answer questions; may potentially rob the forum of the discussion.

Chat logs would be inherently more difficult to browse for answers, being only partly mitigated by having topic specific rooms (which would in turn divide up the locality of chatters)

If 'chat happens', it would most likely be better, in terms of the PGD forums as a resource; to encourage on-topic questions to be asked in the forum.

---

Fighting the other side of the coin, I believe that real-time communication can paint a stronger picture of community and it may serve to turn more guests into members or to strengthen the participation of existing members by making PGD feel more 'alive'.

---

Hopefully the poll will collect enough data to provide a statistically signifigant result. I've taken to pretending to be a C coder on IRC just to avoid being flamed "You're writing a game? in Pascal?!? hahahahah" etc etc
    Last edited by phibermon; 09-08-2011 at 05:30 PM.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.