View Poll Results: Are you interested in the Sushi Quest engine?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I would pay for a license

3 12.50%
  • Yes, but only if free

11 45.83%
  • Yes, other option (explain)

5 20.83%
  • Not interested

5 20.83%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My game engine

Big list .... Too many features... Great work...
    Do you have plans to add some basic video support?

Well when it come to us free

Quote Originally Posted by azrael11 View Post
    Big list .... Too many features... Great work...
    Do you have plans to add some basic video support?

Well when it come to us free
    There is already basic video support, including using video for textures, but right now only for Windows, I'm looking for a better solution that would work on other platforms, including iOS. About releasing it for free, it would be an option if I found enough people interested in fixing some of the current problems and extending the engine with new features.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    So I'd change my vote from Yes to a... not interested for the framework, but for a working game engine that I can modify a big yes.
    What if the framework included a example of a small game that you could extend?
    Sushi Quest code is about 4000 lines of code, but most of it is just coding of the different entities logic (like bombs that explode when they touch fire, barrels that move in the water, etc)
    Also, this engine is fine tuned for performance, when I first ported it to iOS, the game runned at 12fps, I spent a week optimizing the engine (things like removing all allocations
    except when really needed, and lots of openGLtricks). and now it runs at almost 60fps without fullscreen antialiasing (with it on it runs at about 30fps)

About releasing it for free, it would be an option if I found enough people interested in fixing some of the current problems and extending the engine with new features.
    I would be very interest in something like this where those that use it give something back. we would all benefit form such a project. so many engines end up in the bit can because they don't have a community to support them. and as we all know the pascal gaming community isn't getting any bigger. perhaps if we all spent a little time working in the same direction instead of everyone doing there own thing. we could show the rest of the world that pascal is not dead and that it can hold its own in the gaming world. when was the last time you saw anyone asking for help on gamedev for a pascal game. even python is doing better and that is really pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Relfos View Post
    There is already basic video support, including using video for textures, but right now only for Windows, I'm looking for a better solution that would work on other platforms, including iOS. About releasing it for free, it would be an option if I found enough people interested in fixing some of the current problems and extending the engine with new features.
    I think that you asked for a good community support... that is the only that matters... Only good community keeps the project alive... I am already inside In Reflios Ngine Community....
    About programming to little time to spent but i hope this end soon so i have more time to spent in pascal and your engine....
    I see a new and strong community here.....

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    Impressive feature list! I look forward to seeing what you decide upon for release terms
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Relfos View Post
    What if the framework included a example of a small game that you could extend?
    Hmm... well that's a possibility I might consider. Perhaps if you were to throw in add-on units that I could use to get some basic behaviors that you could get in a top-down platformer to work with and modify. Essentially if it was a more flexible version of something that resembled a Sushi Quest engine, then I might go for it for say a sequel to Garland's Quest. (Name similarity is a strange coincidence. )

What I would do, besides calling it Garland's Journey not Garland's Quest 2 , is have Garland walk as he does in the first, has his staff which would give him different things he could do than the scrolls and he'd have similar puzzles to that of Garland's Quest that help him carry on from level to level until he reached his new enemy with a different plot. It would be in 3D as SQ is, but act just like GQ with my own enhancements. This is what I'd have in mind for your "engine" if you were to offer something that would match my requirements for what I'm looking for.

For those that are unfamiliar to my Garland's Quest project you can read past thread posts here.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Nice, I will this month try to finish some demos (including simple games that could be extended) to teach how to use the many features of the engine.
    Also right now I'm very inclined to setup a website for the engine, release the whole engine for free, and setup a donation button (and I will use the donations to make the engine better, probably paying for someone to help in the Android port)
    Another idea I have is to add a "bounty" page, so that people (and even myself) can ask for new features (or bug fixes), and offer a small price for it.

Blog Entries
    Well that does sound good. So we are talking 'engine' here NOT 'framework' or 'library', right?

Having different genre-specific templates (in the form of demos I guess) could help define it as more of an engine, yes but it also depends on how much of the game mechanics I or anyone else would have to write. Just think of the Quake or Unreal engines for an example of what a common 'game engine' is. You can still modify it quite a bit, but much is already established.

I think an engine would be much better for a release these days as we already have so many libraries or frameworks that allow higher than API functionality. To release another one at this point would be less significant than a really good game engine. Mind you the idea of a game engine that can be used to develop for more than one specific game genre would be something kind of new to Object Pascal I think.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Any news? I've been impatiently waiting to see if anything comes of this

I've been working on it, I don't have much time nowadays though. I need to create some user friendly tools and more samples before releasing it, otherwise people would get frustrated

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast