Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Delphi XE2 is here!

Short-sighted stupidity - Embarcadero could certainly learn a thing or two about growing their user base and fans
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

I couldn't agree more.

I'm actually happy that I have some experience with FPC allready, because these issues really push me towards FPC. Delphi is just too expensive and has not enough features for the price you pay. I'm not willing to support that by buying the product, even if I would have the money.

The bigger problem is, as said, that the average age of experienced delphi programmers is growing. Embarcadero is creating it's own problem for the future.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    @Lifepower - Thank you very much for debating my points and you're quite right there are parts of the IDE that need some polish although I am suprised to hear you've experienced crashes during debugging, If you'll take my word for it I've not had an issue stepping through many lines of code and not experienced the behaviour you described.

If you've tried multiple builds and still experience that issue I just don't know what to say. Obviously you'd notice if your system was unstable in other ways. There's the outside possiblity that some memory masking rootkit/virus plauges some common link between your platforms or perhaps there's some bizzare in memory conflict with your antivirus or some other such thing, softice etc.

I must insist that you can debug without issue, perhaps someone else would be kind enough to validate.

---

I agree. There is not much innovation going on with Delphi's compiler when compared to FreePascal, which supported 64-bit and Mac OS since long time ago. I would actually like to see Delphi's integration with FPC even on Windows platform.
    Even if it wasn't a complete replacement, it would be very nice to see support for switching between compilers although I suspect that they store very different forms of debug information in builds which may very well require quite a lot of work to intergrate into the Delphi environment (breakpoints, watches, decode views etc) although I might be wrong and they use somthing close to GDB.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

I love the fact that according to the email from Embarcadero the other day, Delphi XE2 includes Android support!!

cheers,
    Paul

Blog Entries
    I think they said Prism not Delphi. They are making the distinction from Delphi and their RemObjects partnership project this version.

I know David talked and talked about getting Delphi on everything. Android was one of those 'everythings'.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

hmm...here is the bit from my email

Take a look at this! With RAD Studio XE2, you can now create…

NEW! 64-bit Delphi applications to take advantage of the latest hardware
    NEW! Truly stunning visual business applications with FireMonkey™
    NEW! High-performance Windows, Mac and iOS native applications
    NEW! LiveBindings™ to connect any visual element to any type of data
    NEW! Mobile and cloud connectivity to extend multi-tier DataSnap
    NEW! Standalone mobile apps for iOS (iPhone/iPad) and Android
    NEW! Mobile-optimized web applications
    cheers,
    Paul

At the Auckland meeting they showed how to make an android project using radphp or prism - i can't remember - looked complicated
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

Quote Originally Posted by czar View Post
    At the Auckland meeting they showed how to make an android project using radphp or prism - i can't remember - looked complicated
    RemObject's project Cooper (in beta ATM) can make Android projects - very similar to Prism (almost same syntax, but different compiler)

cheers,
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Well it's .NET or Java take your pick.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Well it's .NET or Java take your pick.
    hehe, true enough

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast