Thread: Win/Linux/Mac OSX Sound API with no .DLL/.SO dependencies?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Win/Linux/Mac OSX Sound API with no .DLL/.SO dependencies?

Hi all,
    I am writing a cross-platform game engine (Windows first, Linux later, and then maybe Mac OSX), and I am hoping to add in some sound support (.wav files first, then maybe .ogg).

I am hoping to do the sound loading/playing without using some external .DLL/.SO file, and just use some Pascal units.

This is to keep down the number of external libraries that I need to deploy with my engine .DLL/.SO file...

Does anyone here know of such a beast?

I know I could use OpenAL, BASS, FMOD, Audiere, but those need an external .DLL/.SO file, don't they?

Maybe I could use the WaveOut API on windows, but what can I use under Linux/Mac OSX?

cheers,
    Paul

Windows - DirectSound
    Linux/MacOS X - OpenAL is de facto standard

If you want something like WaveOut in Windows, then you will be needed to use ALSA(as much popular than OSS) for Linux and CoreAudio for MacOS X.

Thanks for the info mate

One question...does OpenAL come pre-installed on Linux/MacOSX...or does one need to install it themselves? I am guessing that maybe Linux needs the user to install it, but maybe not in Mac OSX.

I will look up ALSA and CorAudio...

cheers,
    Paul

OpenAL is pre-installed on MacOS X and iOS. What about Linux - you can always use dependencies list, but Linux system with games and without OpenAL - something far from reality, IMHO )
    Last edited by Andru; 07-09-2011 at 10:14 AM.

Blog Entries
    OpenAL is pretty much the best thing you could use for cross-platform. If you are doing windows only, you can just use DirectSound if you prefer, but I woudn't try using much else unless you want headaches while trying to port your sound system over to new platforms. You'll just end up having to rewrite your games sound code for each platform.

Linux users shouldn't need user-friendliness, they're all super-geeks anyways. Just tell them what they need. Mac users will love you for using OpenAL and putting everything into one single bundle nicely/properly. Esp. those that like the new Launchpad for Lion.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by will View Post
    linux users shouldn't need user-friendliness, they're all super-geeks anyways.
    bwahahahahaha!!!

Ok, I'm sold...I will go for OpenAL then guys, thanks all! I will just ignore the fact that I need to deploy the extra DLL then

cheers,
    Paul