Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: make MacOSX applications with RS XE2 (step-by-step)

Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch View Post
    where ctrl + C is copy on just about everything under the sun mac goes and screws up all the standard ones...
    The "standard ones" in my book are cmd-ZXCV (undo, cut, copy, paste) plus cmd-SNOW (save, new, open, close). They are really, really universal in all Mac programs, and on Windows the ctrl-ZXCV keys are a straight copy of that. (Yes, it is the Mac's fault that Windows has too many different systems.)

On Linux, however, ctrl-C is by tradition "break" so Linux is in considerable conflict between "copy" and "break". I know some significant programs where it gets pretty bad (Terminal in particular).

Anyway, I didn't intend to prove any platform better than another, the point was that with only cross-compilation, it isn't a full cross-platform solution yet. But it is certainly better than without the cross-compilation option.
    Last edited by Ingemar; 11-10-2011 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingemar View Post
    Anyway, I didn't intend to prove any platform better than another, the point was that with only cross-compilation, it isn't a full cross-platform solution yet. But it is certainly better than without the cross-compilation option.
    Actually, from your posts it seemed exactly the opposite. You started to defend Mac at all costs after people mentioned that it was easier for them to develop on PC and compile for Mac. Sure, Delphi IDE ported to other platforms would be great, but it's not out yet. However, for all previous Delphi versions, this cross-compilation is an enormous jump and a huge improvement.

If you don't like and/or don't use Delphi and don't have plans on getting it, why commenting in this thread at all? Keep using XCode or whatever IDE/text editor of your preference, you can even write the machine code yourself if you want to, nobody is forcing you to switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingemar View Post

it isn't a full cross-platform solution yet.
    When you say 'it' you mean Delphi - I don't see how you can it is not cross-platform. Delphi clearly is capable of developing cross-platform applications. If you want to run Delphi IDE on a Mac then you may have to wait a while. However, even if you only have a Mac you can run Delphi in a VM so I would rather not see effort going towards achieving that goal. I would prefer to see iOS development being exactly like MacOS development, i.e. F9 on my PC and seeing app running on my iPad.
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

Quote Originally Posted by Lifepower View Post
    Actually, from your posts it seemed exactly the opposite. You started to defend Mac at all costs after people mentioned that it was easier for them to develop on PC and compile for Mac. Sure, Delphi IDE ported to other platforms would be great, but it's not out yet. However, for all previous Delphi versions, this cross-compilation is an enormous jump and a huge improvement.

If you don't like and/or don't use Delphi and don't have plans on getting it, why commenting in this thread at all? Keep using XCode or whatever IDE/text editor of your preference, you can even write the machine code yourself if you want to, nobody is forcing you to switch.
    But I only said that it was insufficient for people like me, from the Mac side. We don't want to work 100% on a PC. And that makes it a PC-to-Mac porting option, that is a bit limited.

Pascal options for the Mac are very much do-it-yourself, so I would have been very happy to see full Mac support.

Use a windows VM. If I was making decisions at EMB I would not put in any immediate effort into building delphi ID for Mac. There would be zero chance of getting any ROI any time soon. The cross-platform is aimed squarely at windows developers wanting to bridge onto a mac. I believe you would be maybe one of a handful people in the world working on Mac only and wanting to use pascal.
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12