Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nice IDEs for Linux and Windows?

Nice IDEs for Linux and Windows?

I am mostly working under OSX and I am pretty happy with that. However, the work of porting my code to other OSes, which I need sometimes, is hindered by the lack of comfortable IDEs. I have tried the BloodshedDev IDE, which has been unsupported for quite some time, which doesn't matter so much, but it also feels too complicated. Same thing for KDevelop, a messy and complex solution. The FPC IDE is good as concept but clumsy.

Are there any others to consider? Remember, I want it simple and straight-forward, and I don't want any visual RAD tools so Delphi and Lazarus are beside the point. Maybe some other time, but now I want something simple and code-centered.

if your not using lazarus your just making life hard on your self. you don't have to do the rad stuff to use it. I'm sure debuging got to be a real pain for you. I use a simple editor to code with and lazarus to compile and debug. I don't use any of the lcl stuff. to bloated. making my own x win opengl 3.2+ stuff with just the very basic stuff like sysutils. take some time to learn it you will be glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Carver413 View Post
    if your not using lazarus your just making life hard on your self. you don't have to do the rad stuff to use it. I'm sure debuging got to be a real pain for you. I use a simple editor to code with and lazarus to compile and debug. I don't use any of the lcl stuff. to bloated. making my own x win opengl 3.2+ stuff with just the very basic stuff like sysutils. take some time to learn it you will be glad you did.
    That could be an approach. I have tried using Lazarus under OSX but it doesn't even start. I got a bit disencouraged from that.

Naturally, the IDE should have some debugging support, otherwise I'd have to debug through the CLI of GDB (not very fun IMHO) or with WriteLn (I'd rather not).

I'm using Lazarus without LCL stuff on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. Especially tools like code refractoring and jumping to the definition of a procedure/function are things I don't want to miss anymore. In case I don't have Lazarus available or I just want to open a file for quick editing, I use Geany on Linux and Notepad++ on Windows. (Geany can be considered an IDE, while Notepad++ is not.)
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Blog Entries
    Geany anywhere anytime. Just uses your fpc install, from the KDevelop mention, I'd guess linux so a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install fpc geany
    should have installation covered - geany has everything I'd expect, object browser, all word completion, native .pas and .pp syntax support, auto (and customizeable) indentation...

Second place I'd give to programmers notepad (some builds work OK in wine) or anjuta.
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

we've all had our share of problems with the installs. but don't give up other people are using it on mac's. try the trunk version that's alway's the most current and compiling it your self might do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Especially tools like code refractoring and jumping to the definition of a procedure/function are things I don't want to miss anymore.
    Jumping to a function is mandatory, can't be without that, but I never saw that much use for code refactoring. Do you need that that often?

Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch View Post
    Geany anywhere anytime.
    That one was totally new for me, and sounds pretty close to what I want from the description. Will try.

I have used Geany a lot of time, but lately I'm using Lazarus with docking mode for projects. For fast editing pas files without debugging - Geany is pretty good solution.
    Last edited by Andru; 03-10-2011 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingemar View Post
    Jumping to a function is mandatory, can't be without that, but I never saw that much use for code refactoring. Do you need that that often?
    It's pretty nice. Just place caret on an identifier, press F2, type something and you've just renamed something. Extract Procedure, and Complete Code are pretty awesome too. They even handle some cases of parameter renaming/retyping automatically!
    Peregrinus, expectavi pedes meos in cymbalis
    Nullus norvegicorum sole urinat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast