View Poll Results: Which platforms do you own?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Windows

29 90.63%
  • Mac OS X

6 18.75%
  • Linux

19 59.38%
  • iOS (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch)

6 18.75%
  • Android (phone, tablet)

11 34.38%
  • Windows Phone 7

2 6.25%
  • XBox 360

7 21.88%
  • BlackBerry

3 9.38%
  • Nintendo DS

6 18.75%
  • GameBoy Advance

3 9.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What platforms do you own?

Quote Originally Posted by Lifepower View Post
    By the way, out of curiosity, anyone tried running React OS, which is a free and open-source Windows-compliant alternative? The screenshot on Wikipedia seems pretty convincing.
    Yes, I tried it in Virtualbox. Freepascal (Windows version) works, Lazarus does not. GUI programs for ReactOS can be done with fpGUI. Now I am waiting for the next release ...
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

A PC at home and a Toughbook laptop, both Linux+Win32.

On PC I have Windows Vista - arghh. Since my parents bought the computer quite soon after Vista was released, they purchased it. I am planning on switching to Windows 7 from MSDN AA, though. Linux distro here is Linux Mint, as it has a nice GUI and everything is quite user-friendly. Only had some minor issues with sound card drivers (Sound Blaster X-Fi). A shame I can't get FPC to compile anything using non-standard units.

Toughbook has WinXP - I would not even dare trying W7. XP runs quite nice, though I use it mainly for gaming. Linux distro here is Fedora, running an LXDE desktop. So far my only problem is being unable to find a working driver for the touchscreen, but other than that, I daresay everything runs like a dream.

Reasons to moving from Win to Linux? I was curious about Linux for a long time, but I only gave it a try after I got my own computer. One of the reasons was also going to university - I knew there would be some subjects regarding Unix\Linux, so I thought it could be good to check it earlier. After some adventures with different distros (I tried six or even seven), repartitioning the HDD several times, et cetera, I decided to stick to Fedora+LXDE. Now, over a year later, I use mostly Linux, mainly for being able to change literally everything in the system's runnings (not that I was lucky enough never to have it not running after some of my experiments...), it's stability and ability to be customized. Running programs with WinKey+Letter is wonderful - and addictive, to the point I created registry entries for like 20 apps in WinXP just to be able to run them via the Win+R "Run application" applet.

A funny fact to end the post - when at home, I most often use both computers. I work at the PC, with the laptop sharing it's disk via NFS. No need to worry about transfering files or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifepower View Post
    By the way, out of curiosity, anyone tried running React OS, which is a free and open-source Windows-compliant alternative? The screenshot on Wikipedia seems pretty convincing.
    I did test it a long time ago. It was quite stable but has a feel of WIP everywhere.

Don't know how much it changed from that.
    No signature provided yet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123