Thread: FYI: Steam accounts were hacked (around 10th November)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I will admit where i'm wrong but it doesn't feel like that yet I'm sworm follower of pure logic.

I'm not Red herring, you just didn't read my post. I did agree that banning IP for long time can be bad for masses of people, therefore i suggested shorter (maybe even minutes) IP ban and/or user account (or in whitelist case, admin account) related temporary ban.

That is still on topic of whitelists, which under this logic is still a valid technique. It does not block large user masses, it only makes hacking attempting harder. And like i said, if you fake your IP you can't hack, only DoS. Subnetting is about communicating with computers in same network group. You cannot form a network group with a computer out in the Internet, especially if he is using a fake IP. Packets only move in 1 way, to the server (well, you can form a VPN, but that requires acceptance and setup from all parties involved).

I can prove the subnetting restriction with example: From your home computer, it is not possible to directly connect to local universitys internal network even if you fake your own IP network mask same. That is why schools have SSH or VPN login systems.

About easy passwords people make, ok, could be that large amount of people try to make them as easy as possible for them. However this topic was about hackers trying to guess them. I have been trying to make it clear that most systems will not let them try it many times in a row. They have to guess it right in 10 attempts in most cases. I don't want to try how many times Steam actually allows. Login policies for admins can be built even stricter.
    Last edited by User137; 24-11-2011 at 05:01 PM.