Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pascal Gamer Magazine Issue 4 Needs Content: Want to write an article?

Blog Entries

Talking Pascal Gamer Magazine Issue 4 Needs Content: Want to write an article?

Hey folks, it's getting to that time again where I'm looking at seeking out great new articles for a new issue of Pascal Gamer Magazine. It's been over a year since I've put one together and I think it's long overdue.

So who is interested in writing and submitting an article to the magazine?

All works are edited and published for the magazine and shared to the community in the next issue. People can read your articles via the free online downloadable PDF format, or they can get a physical copy of the magazine printed and shipped to their doors through the Lulu.com storefront.

Also with the very exciting release of the first issue of Pascal Gamer Magazine Issue 1 app on iTunes, all future issues of Pascal Gamer will now appear in the App Store for iPad. Your articles can now be read by iPad users! Future issues will be sold for $0.99 to help cover the cost of running the website and cover costs of creating the magazine issues.

All submitted articles are submitted to Pascal Gamer and considered a volunteer contribution to help support the greater Pascal game programming community. By giving back to the community you are a part of, you are helping it to thrive with the availability of information you are providing in your articles. Help this exciting new format that newcomers can download and read to help get them into making games with Pascal.

I would love to see articles of all topics and skill levels in the magazine, however these are the areas that I would like to see for the next issue;

• Beginning game programming 101 stuff with tools/setup/SDL. Write for easy consumption!
    • A few tutorial series would be great on: networking, graphics, audio, file formats, creating level editors, level design, brainstorming ideas for a new games, etc.
    • Graphics or other techniques that include code snippets like NeHe or something cool you'd see on pastebin. Small articles.
    • I've been tying forever to get a feature on a company like Big Fish about how they make games or how Pascal programmers could submit their games to them.
    • An article on how to submit your article for a specific distribution self-serve site or distribution company.
    • Highlights of very popular game engines/libraries. Please no prototypes or WIP.
    • History of developing a game. Would be great to include a development journal of a game that was made and released and include concept artwork, drawing board sketches/screen captures, and so on.
    • More ideas, can be discussed if you contact me with your interest in writing!

Sections you can write for... (please consider what each section is about as you write your article for it)

Project Highlights: Talk about a single game project or game engine or tool or library. Past Project Highlights articles have included Asphyre Extreme and Allegro.pas.

Special Report: This can be a report on a special event (like Delphi Live! or Code Rage) or an article about your successes with commercial games like Frank van Gent wrote for us in issue 1. This can be about yourself, but doesn't have to be. You could even write about the history or a simple story about a game company that uses Pascal for example.

Coder's Block: Code snippets used in a small tutorial about working with something specific, but features code. Can be big or small, but must include the code that others can use and learn from. We can include your code in a small archive and distribute it with the issue digitally from the website.

If you are interested in writing an article for Pascal Gamer Magazine Issue 4, please send your interest (and articles) to contact@pascalgamer.com. We can discuss what you are interested in writing. Thanks!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    If you have any gaps that need filling with some words - just let me know, I can always polish and improve some upcoming publications meant for the articles section Of course, entirely new content is just as possible. And depending on the time frame - would you be interested in a quick setting up & hello world for android? I was planning something more of the sorts for the article section but since I'm taking the scenic route to get it all working nice it may take a small while to get right
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Blog Entries
    Hmm an article on introduction to Android would be very nice for the next issue. A complete how to setup your deve environment would be great along with a basic demo (with source) would help a lot of people and get Android dev with Object Pascal going.

An article on iOS development would be great too. I don't think that has been covered either. Considering that Pascal Gamer is now on the iPad, it would be a great promo as an alternative to using Objective-C in Xcode.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    Lol. Sorry, but I can't help with iOS, fault of me not owning any apple products and having never developed for them either I can't elaborate on anything. If you want an iOS tutorial - I believe you'd have to talk to RelfOS or Andru for the specifics as they are (to my knowledge) the two most prominent iOS developers.

As for an android tutorial, I'll see what can come up with in the next few days
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

I could write an iOS tutorial either for games using either OpenGL ES 2.0 or Apple's UIKit with Xcode and FreePascal 2.6rc1, if I find some time.
    You can also use my so far third-part series on the changes of FreePascal 2.6.0 (Part1, Part2 and Part3) if you want to.
    What is the guestimated timeframe for the release of the fourth issue?
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Maybe if I get time, I could write a very simple tutorial on making a boulder dash like game using SDL or similar?
    As Stoney said, when do you want the articles by?

Blog Entries
    code_glitch: Android, awesome!

Stoney: iOS, great!

Paul: A tutorial on how to make Bolderdash would be neat. Maybe something for the Coder's Block section? Also what about The Probe? Have you made a "1.0 Final" version yet? Or maybe you could do a Special Report article on your experiences developing for different platforms and where you can see this going in the future...?

Jim McKeeth from RemObjects has shown interest in writing something and so has Lifepower as well as Matthias from 'FreePascal-meets-SDL.' This is looking to be a very nice return to making issues for Pascal Gamer. And with new Desktop Publishing software too! (iStudio for Mac OS X)

I was also thinking about writing a fun visual history time-line of Pascal game development milestones from early 2000 until now. Anyone else like this idea?

Also... we have a couple of incomplete "series" from past issues of Pascal Gamer. Are we looking at continuing/completing these from this issue? (cronozphere, Jeremy Darling, Brainier?)
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Paul: A tutorial on how to make Bolderdash would be neat. Maybe something for the Coder's Block section?
    Sounds good to me

Also what about The Probe? Have you made a "1.0 Final" version yet?
    In the next few days I will be releasing a bare-bones version of The Probe. There are no menus yet, but it will include a whole bunch of gaming elements that I have gotten working and showcased in some different levels so you guys can test it out and give me some feedback
    Not sure if that would be a Beta version, but who knows!

Or maybe you could do a Special Report article on your experiences developing for different platforms and where you can see this going in the future...?
    I will have a think on that one...I have only gotten Windows/Unix working so far, but thanks to SDL/OpenGL/OpenAL that wasn't too hard
    Not sure where that might be going in the future, and some other game libraries (ZenGL, RelOS?) would be way better than mine in this regard for future cross-platform updates...

I could probably write something about beggining with SDL - or, since Paul already steep out on this one, BASS. Maybe a small article about a leveled.

I might be able to write something as well. I say "might" because I have very little time on my hands. Since I didn't have time to do pascal programming during the last few months (apart from some android experiments, which will already be covered), I think it's best to do something more general, like matrix/vector math or perhaps perlin noise.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast