Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Free Pascal projects out there?

Blog Entries

Any Free Pascal projects out there?

Hey, I'm just currious if there are any Free Pascal projects out there worth mentioning in this forum?

Lazarus is looking better by the release and Free Pascal is getting beefier and more feature filled it's self. There has to be someone making use of this fine multi-platform compiler somewhere.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

AFAIK (Dominique can correct me) SDL is compiling under FreePascal - pure multiplatform project.

GLScene is in process of trying to compile "itself" under FreePascal.

About half of Direc3D samples for Summer 2003 DirectX SDK on mine site can be compiled and run just fine under FreePascal. But during testing of new framework for 2004 release of DirectX SDK I've found that althrow I can compile it under FreePascal - projects fail to run correctly. Bugs were discovered in UNICODE support of FreePascal.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm using the bloodshed free pascal compiler/ide combination and I love it. Rather than spending $100 on a Delphi compiler, I think I'll take free pascal for free.

No doubt, Delphi is much more feature packed then FF, though FF is just easier for me to navigate around as a beginner.

im waiting for Lazarus to be released on OSX then i can use it on my ibook

Blog Entries

Clootie: Excellent news! I hope you already reported those issues to the Free Pascal team, as it'll help it to become much better in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    I'm using the bloodshed free pascal compiler/ide combination and I love it. Rather than spending $100 on a Delphi compiler, I think I'll take free pascal for free.
    That sounds like forward-thinking logic to me

I'm sure that when it comes to game programming, all the nice bells and whistles are nice, but down to the bottom of it all, it's all about the code man. But I admit it's nice to have a good IDE any day.

tux: I'm with you on that one. More support for Mac OS X and other platforms like Playstation 2(PS3 in the near future), X-Box(X-Box 2 soon), and whatever Nintendo has up it's sleaves is the utimate aim for any game developer.

For those of you wondering where you can find all of this stuff; You can find them at the following sites:

:arrow: Free Pascal Compiler is @ http://www.freepascal.org/

:arrow: Bloodshed Software's Dev-Pascal(IDE w/ Packaged version of Free Pascal or GNU Pascal Suite) is @ http://www.bloodshed.net/devpascal.html

:arrow: Free Pascal Lazarus Project is @ http://lazarus.freepascal.org/
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

is there much speed difference in the compiled code between free pascal and object pascal /delphi

Anonymous

FreePascal is a bit slower than Delphi I think.

Blog Entries

I seriously doubt it's anything that can't be sped up by it's inline asm functions.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

but mear mortals dont know asm

Those who have chosen pascal over C will probably want to keep their code more maintainable than asm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast