Thread: Site hacked?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch View Post
    You guys - I hate to re-mention this but you could just move over to linux
    You can also downgrade your Windows to version 3.1, where no modern virus will work or even better, shut down your computer entirely, after which you won't be vulnerable to any kind of computer attacks.

Seriously though, this is why for Afterwarp site we have moved away from vBulletin, for more than a year they did nothing to fight spam (PGD uses same techniques we've been using in vBulletin 3 for years), made their prices ridiculously high and even though you own permanent license they constantly nag you to renew, sometimes with death letters. Now this vulnerability has shown that vBulletin is poorly designed so that it technically allows these type of hacks. I would never use vBulletin again.

Blog Entries
    The irony behind vBulletin:

Server running free software, for the free and open source community running on free and open standards on PHP, the technology powering the freedom of the modern web...
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Thanks, Will, I appreciate it very much.

As for switching to Linux.. I would if they could ever decide on a desktop UI standard that actually didn't suck. Same with a Windows environment where I could still run the 90%+ of software that I need for work. Also if they could get more hardware manufacturers to write drivers for most of the hardware I use, rather than not being able to use it.

Don't get me wrong, I use and support Linux on my webservers to do the heavy-lifting on the 'net, but the day-to-day user experience just sucks sweaty donkey balls. It IS a lot better than it was, and it is getting better over time, but it's still not there to the point I need it to be in order to switch.