Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre April 2014 - Welcome to PGD! Make your first post here....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vampm View Post
    For start I just want to do graphics only. I dont know if I this engine is going to be suitable for games. This just for fun!!! But I would like to make something like an simple rpg, with anime-like characters.
    Well getting into graphics I'd recommend JEDI-SDL to start. It's mostly 2D which is the best way to start with graphics to understand how to work with sprites, loading and unloading these and other "assets." Then you can move onto other libraries and API to do more advanced stuff.

As much as RPGs might be fun to play, I'd steer WAY clear of them for learning to program. They require way too much premade graphics and take a huge amount of development time. Most new programmers try to do an RPG as a first project and give up on programming altogether. Instead why not try some more classic game models like Pac-Man, Pong or a simple shooter?

These other alternatives might not seem as exciting as making the next Final Fantasy, but trust me you'll learn nothing more or different from making and RPG other than you shouldn't have started with an RPG.

Other alternatives could also be a platformer, scrolling shooter, maze game (like Pac-man, Lock-n-Chase or Night Stalker) or a puzzle game.

These are of course just my recommendations.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Ok, I ll keep in mind!!! I started delphi-7 with delphix in order to use ddraw, which is very fast in pixel operations. I am going to post in a proper section all my queries because I am new in directx staff, and in delphi. See ya there!!!

Welcome to PGD vampm! Keep up the great work...some good beginnings there
    I love graphics

@vampm
    Like it has been sad, creating an RPG game isn't an easy task. I'm curently writing an article on making an RPG based battle system and must say that code for trhis RPG combat system and inventory managment already excedes 1300 lines of code and coments. But this is actualy just a fraction of the whole game.
    Anywhay if it still interests you wait for me to finish the article so that you could see atleast how to make this small part of the RPG game.

As for the graphics I would try to stay away from ddraw becouse it sems that it's suport is slowly being canceled by Microsoft. I have many old games wich use ddraw for graphic and wich doesn't run properly on newer graphics cards and newer OS-es like Windows Vista or Windows 7.
    You could use Andora2D instead of DelphiX wich uses either DirectX or OpenGL instead of ddraw and offers the same functionality. Basicly usage of Andora2D is so similar to DelphiX that you could easily port your project from DelphiX to Andora2D with minimal changes in sourcecode.
    But unfortunatly there hasnt been much development on Andora2D in the last two years so it may contains some bugs wich may or may not be fixed in the future.

Hi from Lima

Hi, I'm Heinz from Lima, Peru. I have a lot of skills in Delphi and some other languages, and I want to learn more.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pitfiend View Post
    Hi, I'm Heinz from Lima, Peru. I have a lot of skills in Delphi and some other languages, and I want to learn more.
    Hi Heinz, welcome to PGD! I've un-moderated you so you may now strike up a conversation or reply to other threads on the forums.

We are working on increasing the amount of beginners tutorials that you can read from the Home section of the site. Check back there soon for when they show up!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Hi Heinz, welcome to PGD! I've un-moderated you so you may now strike up a conversation or reply to other threads on the forums.

We are working on increasing the amount of beginners tutorials that you can read from the Home section of the site. Check back there soon for when they show up!
    Thanks! I don't take myself for a noob, having new stuff to learn is always good business. Maybe some day I will finish some held projects... who knows?

Welcome to PGD Heinz!

You are from Peru, eh? Neat! I have always wanted to go there and see the temples...

cheers,
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Thanks! I don't take myself for a noob, having new stuff to learn is always good business. Maybe some day I will finish some held projects... who knows?
    I didn't mean to imply that you were. We are currently focusing on what we lack the most right now and thats beginner tutorials sadly. We do plan on continuing on with more advanced topics. You'll find that PGD has a whole wealth of user levels for it's membership. Tutorials are in a sad state right now, but we're working on it.

If you have partially completed projects, you should post about them in the Your Projects section of the site. It's always inspiring to see what others are doing and sometimes it helps the poster themself for motivation to hear the reactions and feedback of others.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    I didn't mean to imply that you were. We are currently focusing on what we lack the most right now and thats beginner tutorials sadly. We do plan on continuing on with more advanced topics. You'll find that PGD has a whole wealth of user levels for it's membership. Tutorials are in a sad state right now, but we're working on it.

If you have partially completed projects, you should post about them in the Your Projects section of the site. It's always inspiring to see what others are doing and sometimes it helps the poster themself for motivation to hear the reactions and feedback of others.
    @Will, it's good enough for me to see that this community is living and kicking. You know, there are too much ones that are no more. My projects are not game related, many are for personal use. I'll try to contribute with my knowledge instead. I'm also willing to try anything worthy and promising, as soon as I have some free time. Thanks for your warm welcome.

@Paul, you are welcome to visit this beautiful country, there are lots of things more than just dusty temples , you can go to beachs, stone forest, deserts, rain forest, jungle, mountains and of course some pretty cities... really, it's a big and nice country. And don't forget our food and drinks, some of the best and tasty in the world.

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast