Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Nickel Iron / HTML5 game written in... Object Pascal!

@Eric
    Congratulations for your game being accepted by FireFox Marketplace.
    http://www.delphifeeds.com/go/s/105380

While I appreciate effort you put into this game and general idea of making game with OP for android/HTML5, I must say this game is poor man's Missile Command version. It is fun to play around for few minutes but that's it. Some ideas to make it better for second version (and possibly make it mobile hit):

- Make it a cross between Asteroids and Missile command (Asteroid Command?). I.e. asteroids would split up into smaller ones, just like in original game of Asteroids, but you can't move your ship and has to deal with them Missile Command way
    - Add (on later levels, when you're sure players are accustomed with controls) standard Missile Command stuff (ships that shoots missiles, missiles that splits up, etc.).
    - Add bosses. In every 10 levels or so, there would be boss level. Boss would shoot asteroids or missiles, sometime both. You'll need to destroy those, but also shoot at boss to defeat it (which would have health bar). You could also shoot at asteroid/missile cannons so boss can shoot less or no amount of them.

Blog Entries
    This is good to see. Congrats! I up-voted you on DelphiFeeds.

Once I get Subject 33's first gameplay video I should write up a story about the first Object Pascal (Oxygene for Java) written game coming to the OUYA. Other than those couple of games that were made for the PGD Challenge mini-competitions, that's almost the breadth of the known games made with Oxygene. A capable games dev platform I should note!

I was working with Marc at RemObjects and Dr. Morrison creator of the Pascal Programming for Schools website project to setup his school, located in England, with a whole classroom full of Oxygene for Java to help get professional tools into the classroom for those learning Object Pascal. It also helps to grow the Pascal game programming culture as well. Plus I think the Students love the idea of being able to install their school (game) projects right onto their own Android devices so they can play them with their friends at their school.

I wonder what the take on Smart Mobile Studio would be in schools. Or if they would even be ready to support such a program.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    This is good to see. Congrats! I up-voted you on DelphiFeeds.

Once I get Subject 33's first gameplay video I should write up a story about the first Object Pascal (Oxygene for Java) written game coming to the OUYA. Other than those couple of games that were made for the PGD Challenge mini-competitions, that's almost the breadth of the known games made with Oxygene. A capable games dev platform I should note!
    The aforementioned video will happen after we fix some hiccups we are having

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    I was working with Marc at RemObjects and Dr. Morrison creator of the Pascal Programming for Schools website project to setup his school, located in England, with a whole classroom full of Oxygene for Java to help get professional tools into the classroom for those learning Object Pascal. It also helps to grow the Pascal game programming culture as well. Plus I think the Students love the idea of being able to install their school (game) projects right onto their own Android devices so they can play them with their friends at their school.
    That is awesome news Jason!!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhog View Post
    While I appreciate effort you put into this game and general idea of making game with OP for android/HTML5, I must say this game is poor man's Missile Command version.
    Yes I know, I haven't been able to find much time for it, nor for other games.
    I suppose the next things I'll be doing will be global high-scores or leaderboards though. I had been trying Playtomic sometime ago, but their servers weren't very stable, and they went offline, and I haven't had time to investigate alternatives.

Other than those couple of games that were made for the PGD Challenge mini-competitions
    Yep, not much activity on the Pascal gaming front. I guess right now the issue is being stuck between ready-to-use game engine on one side, and hardcore C/C++ engines on the other.

The new platforms could be an opportunity, though they're still small in terms of market.

FireFox OS phones out there are still counted in the thousandths as far as I can guess, though that could change given the various partnerships they announced, but at the moment everything is still up in the air.

I wonder what the take on Smart Mobile Studio would be in schools. Or if they would even be ready to support such a program.
    IIRC Jorn mentioned something about a "for kids" version sometime ago, I can't speak for him, but it's probably more a question of time and opportunity - since you're involved in such, you know the logistics involved

I think it wouldn't be good to dumbing down SMS* for kids. I think it'd be better if Jorn or someone else would write point & click code generator, like Scratch that would generate proper Pascal SMS code. Then kids would be able to look into code generated and teacher could explain why code is written way it is and how it works. Kids would be able to make game visually, yet they'll learn Pascal skills.

*Smart Mobile Studio, not Short Messaging Service .

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhog View Post
    I think it wouldn't be good to dumbing down SMS* for kids.
    That's the idea AFAIK, mostly simpler layers/generators/libraries on top of the usual Pascal.

Personally, I kinda like systems where you can go from bird eye high-level components, all the way down to intricate implementation details if you want. That's why I picked Delphi over VB (only had the bird eye's view) and moved from C/C++ (where you're constantly buried in implementation details).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234